The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

2nd year Econ student - your questions answered

2nd year econ student at LSE, procrastinating revision badly, happy to answer your questions on everything LSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puffin Boffin
2nd year econ student at LSE, procrastinating revision badly, happy to answer your questions on everything LSE

What a level subjects did you do?
What did you get for your fist year?
What type of maths do you deal with/have you dealt with so far?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by MajorFader
What a level subjects did you do?
What did you get for your fist year?
What type of maths do you deal with/have you dealt with so far?

Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and History

2.1 average in first year

You have to deal with a reasonably high level of maths straight away in my first year I did 75% maths and stats and 25% econ, this year my modules are quite mathematical. Key areas are linear algebra, statistical inference and optimisation.

Best tip for economics application?
What extra-circular economics stuff did you do?
How are you finding living in London?
Reply 4
If you dont mind me asking, what did u get at a level? Do most people exceed their offers?
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
Best tip for economics application?
What extra-circular economics stuff did you do?
How are you finding living in London?

My best tip - get good maths grades and read some interesting books and talk about those books in your PS - avoid the standard books

At the time of applying I had been to a masterclass in econ at cambridge and watched a few lectures. Most of my extra curriculars involved engineering and debating because for years I had wanted to study maths.

London is great, not as expensive as people think, its given me some great opportunities career wise and I love the wide range of stuff you can do going out ext.
Original post by hullo987
If you dont mind me asking, what did u get at a level? Do most people exceed their offers?

I got A*A*AAA in Maths, FM, Chemistry, History and Welsh Bacc respectively.

It depends on the person there are lots who only just made the offer and others who got 5 A*s, it really depends, I would say on average (and this is a guess) most people have two or three A*s, but that s by no means a requirement
How much worse will the economy be if we have no trade deal with the EU at the point of Brexit and have to revert to WTO tariffs?
Potatoes or prunes?
Original post by barnetlad
How much worse will the economy be if we have no trade deal with the EU at the point of Brexit and have to revert to WTO tariffs?

Big question!

It will not be good. WTO rules are very basic and in the short run manufacturing jobs will be hurt and inflation will rise. Over the medium term trade deals would be set up with emerging economies like India and jobs would return but we would also see increased immigration. Long run, its difficult to know.

Overall I would expect a large devaluation of the pound and inflationary pressure. This would be much worse than if we mange to broker a trade deal of some kind with the EU.

Of course the simple answer is we don't know what will happen in that situation, models of trade indicate negative consequences but they have been proved wrong in the past...
Original post by EconNinja
Potatoes or prunes?

Potatoes - its a versatile crop that tastes good when deep fried
Ah good old welsh bacc - where in Wales are you from?
My best tip - get good maths grades and read some interesting books and talk about those books in your PS - avoid the standard books

t.

What books would be standard?
Would capitalism and freedom be standard? Or road to serfdom?

What did you get at GCSE?
How come you didn't do economics A level?

Also are you a neoliberal(monetarist) or keynesian?
How is the split in LSE?
Original post by SP1234321
Ah good old welsh bacc - where in Wales are you from?

Newport haha
Original post by fleky6910
What books would be standard?
Would capitalism and freedom be standard? Or road to serfdom?

How come you didn't do economics A level?

Also are you a neoliberal(monetarist) or keynesian?
How is the split in LSE?

Starting in reverse:

Theres no such such as a monetarist keynsian spilt in academia that debate died in the 90s, although I consider myself new-keynsian. LSE is about 50/50 left vs right.

A- level Economics wasn't offered at my school and besides when choosing my a-levels I didn't know I wanted to do Econ.

I read road to serfdom when applying, standard books are like 23 thing they don't tell you about capitalism or undercover economist. Good books are end this depression now and pop-internationalism
Starting in reverse:

Theres no such such as a monetarist keynsian spilt in academia that debate died in the 90s, although I consider myself new-keynsian. LSE is about 50/50 left vs right.

A- level Economics wasn't offered at my school and besides when choosing my a-levels I didn't know I wanted to do Econ.

I read road to serfdom when applying, standard books are like 23 thing they don't tell you about capitalism or undercover economist. Good books are end this depression now and pop-internationalism

Ah ok , funny you say that, why makes you say it is dead?
So there are an equal number of right wingers at LSE?
That is interesting.
I guess both theories have value and credit and even at degree level , it is down to opinion. Am I right?

Fair enough

So would road to serfdom be a good book?
I plan to read it along with capitalism and freedom after my GCSE's.
I would like to know (if possible) which catered hall do you think would be best for an EU student in terms of both proximity to the school and social environment.
How do you feel about LSE being one of the lowest-ranking unis in terms of student satisfaction? Is it really as bad as it looks for a 'by-stander'?
Original post by fleky6910
Ah ok , funny you say that, why makes you say it is dead?
So there are an equal number of right wingers at LSE?
That is interesting.
I guess both theories have value and credit and even at degree level , it is down to opinion. Am I right?

Its dead as its now accepted that the approach is a mix of monetary and fiscal just one or to thing they are incompatible is dumb. Lse has many right wing but in econ theres not really such thing as left or right as we focus on positive statements not normative ones.

Both theories have reason both once again both have many flaws and in a post 2008 world a focus on one is stupid and only really done by non economists in the media
Original post by luca00000000
I would like to know (if possible) which catered hall do you think would be best for an EU student in terms of both proximity to the school and social environment.

I went to carr-saunders and its a really nice hall, small so you get a big friend group and just off Oxford Street so not a huge walk to uni. Passfield and Rosebery are also good halls. Whilst high holborn is close it has a terrible atmosphere, the same with Urbanest. Bankside is ok but its very big. I would avoid intercollegiate halls if you can since it will prevent you from making a good number of LSE friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending