The Student Room Group

How do I get a C in iGCSE English - Cambridge (0522)

Hello there.

I'm retaking my GCSE English in college. I'm studying the Cambridge iGCSE (0522) specification. I've got my marks back from my coursework and speaking and listening yesterday. I've got an A in speaking and listening (I think it was 37.. the mark?) and got a high C in my coursework portfolio (one mark away from a B).

Now my question is, I did a past paper yesterday (Question 1 & Question 2) and I could not understand how to answer the questions. I get confused and then panic, and I may end up failing again. Just so you know, I actually got an E in GCSE English on results day last year, but then I passed functional skills back in high school so they put me on the GCSE course last September, thank god I did not have to study FS again. I did not practice much on my speaking and listening and didn't get help for my coursework, so I am deeply surprised on how I got such a good mark. But yeah, the last thing is to do well on the exam.. which I am afraid of messing up on..I really don't want to study English next year and I really want to use the easter break to improve so I can whizz through the exam.. Any tips anyone?? :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mrwhitz
Hello there.

I'm retaking my GCSE English in college. I'm studying the Cambridge iGCSE (0522) specification. I've got my marks back from my coursework and speaking and listening yesterday. I've got an A in speaking and listening (I think it was 37.. the mark?) and got a high C in my coursework portfolio (one mark away from a B).

Now my question is, I did a past paper yesterday (Question 1 & Question 2) and I could not understand how to answer the questions. I get confused and then panic, and I may end up failing again. Just so you know, I actually got an E in GCSE English, but then I passed functional skills back in high school so they put me on the GCSE course. I did not practice much on my speaking and listening and didn't get help for my coursework, so I am deeply surprised on how I got such a good mark. But yeah, the last thing is to do well on the exam.. which I am afraid of messing up on.. Any tips anyone?? :frown:

Just fail again. I'm sick of retaking but there is no way of passing unless you show liberal ideas.
Reply 2
E is a good mark?
Reply 3
Original post by Fadel
E is a good mark?

What?
Reply 4
Bump! Need help
Reply 5
Original post by mrwhitz
Hello there.

Now my question is, I did a past paper yesterday (Question 1 & Question 2) and I could not understand how to answer the questions. I get confused and then panic, and I may end up failing again. Just so you know, I actually got an E in GCSE English on results day last year, but then I passed functional skills back in high school so they put me on the GCSE course last September, thank god I did not have to study FS again. I did not practice much on my speaking and listening and didn't get help for my coursework, so I am deeply surprised on how I got such a good mark. But yeah, the last thing is to do well on the exam.. which I am afraid of messing up on..I really don't want to study English next year and I really want to use the easter break to improve so I can whizz through the exam.. Any tips anyone?? :frown:

Question 1 is fairly straightforward because the answers are kind of technically given to you. The examiner wants to see if you can understand what the text is saying and its meaning, so you can infer and explain what the phrases are trying to suggest.

For example, "What does the phrase 'knuckles begin to whiten as grips tighten on the seats...' (line 18) suggest about the feelings of the people in the jeep?"

When you grip something tight in a tense situation, it would usually suggest that they are scared/frightened or worried. However, you must link it to the situation at hand and in this case, the people are scared because there's a tiger walking towards them.

Question 2 is about your writing skills. The examiner wants to see if you can write fluently, use good terminology/vocabulary/etc and be able to use opinions.

(based on 2015 specimen)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending