The Student Room Group

nhs information for interview

hi, i know my interview i still ages away but just wondering what sort of information about the nhs the interviewers want you to know
e.g current affairs, structure, problems, issues ethics
if it helps, i will most likely be applying to kings and barts. Not sure about the other two
Reply 1
Structure of the NHS, current problems in the NHS, structure of training for doctors in the NHS, differences in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England, commissioning of services and a bit about privatisation vs the NHS. It might help to have a little knowledge of the history of the NHS.

In all honesty though, I wouldn't worry too much about what you need to know for your interviews until after your UKCAT or a month or so berfore your interview, should you get one (I'm assuming you're a 2018 applicant). You'll probably forget most of it if you learn it now and you have better things to worry about such as mocks/AS exams and UKCAT later on. It's good that you're starting to think about interview prep though :smile:

Hope that helps
Reply 2
Hi Earlofthegrey :-) Try not to get too bogged down in the details of the NHS, it is so complicated that I suspect most of the people working for it don't understand it fully! In addition, questions about the NHS rarely form a huge part of interviews. I remember my King's interview and we didn't talk about it at all.

That being said, a basic grasp would be useful just in case and the basic points given by HMarles are an excellent foundation. The only thing I'd add is perhaps about some of the core principles of the NHS (e.g. free at the point of use) and how this differs with other health systems across the world. In addition, read up a bit on any current affairs in health that are happening around your interview.

Best of luck,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending