The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

How can I strengthen my physician associate application?

I’m hoping to apply for September 2024 intake therefore the deadline is fast approaching…I don’t have much healthcare experience at all apart from lab but I’ll be volunteering in a hospital abroad next month for 4 weeks so I’m hoping that’ll be enough. I also just finished my medical science bsc

I’m applying for the funded places at Swansea and Bangor and I’ve heard they’re quite competitive so just hoping for some advice on other things I can do to strengthen my application?!
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi,
I am a current student at Swansea and hope I can help with some advice! The PA programme in Swansea is indeed quite competietive and they take several factors into account. The University uses a scoring system for applications and students with the highest scores and good interview marks are selected. If you have a BSc, your degree classification will matter, a 2.1 or 1st will give you a competitive edge if your degree had some focus on healthcare within the NHS. If not, you will have to demonstrate your knowledge and awareness of NHS. The academic scores are additive, which would mean that scores in various sections are added together. Your paln to undertake voluntary hospital work abroad will definitely count! May be useful to supplement that with a shadowing or short placement in the UK like working in a care home or NHS as this will give you relevant experience. Your personal statement should focus on transferable skills as well so you can demonstrate that you can apply your degree and experience to PA.
The interview stage is the most important. You must demonstrate Communication Skills, Coping with pressure and resilience, Insight and Integrity, Team working, Problem solving, Understanding the scope of practice of the Physician Associate role. Have a look at this document to help you prepare -
https://www.fparcp.co.uk/file/image/media/633c292be9bed_FPA_DRAFT_PA_curriculum_-_FINAL_FOR_WEB.pdf
The interviews are panel interviews and you should review your personal statement prior, as they can ask you questions about your statement. Additinally you should feel free to contact Swansea with any questions leading up to the process as more info you have more prepared you will be! Contact Swansea at [email protected] .
I hope this helps. All the best for your application!

Ruchika Yadav - Swansea University Student Ambassador - Medical Student 4th year
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Swansea Students
Hi,
I am a current student at Swansea and hope I can help with some advice! The PA programme in Swansea is indeed quite competietive and they take several factors into account. The University uses a scoring system for applications and students with the highest scores and good interview marks are selected. If you have a BSc, your degree classification will matter, a 2.1 or 1st will give you a competitive edge if your degree had some focus on healthcare within the NHS. If not, you will have to demonstrate your knowledge and awareness of NHS. The academic scores are additive, which would mean that scores in various sections are added together. Your paln to undertake voluntary hospital work abroad will definitely count! May be useful to supplement that with a shadowing or short placement in the UK like working in a care home or NHS as this will give you relevant experience. Your personal statement should focus on transferable skills as well so you can demonstrate that you can apply your degree and experience to PA.
The interview stage is the most important. You must demonstrate Communication Skills, Coping with pressure and resilience, Insight and Integrity, Team working, Problem solving, Understanding the scope of practice of the Physician Associate role. Have a look at this document to help you prepare -
https://www.fparcp.co.uk/file/image/media/633c292be9bed_FPA_DRAFT_PA_curriculum_-_FINAL_FOR_WEB.pdf
The interviews are panel interviews and you should review your personal statement prior, as they can ask you questions about your statement. Additinally you should feel free to contact Swansea with any questions leading up to the process as more info you have more prepared you will be! Contact Swansea at [email protected] .
I hope this helps. All the best for your application!

Ruchika Yadav - Swansea University Student Ambassador - Medical Student 4th year

This is all extremely useful information thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest