The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University for the Creative Arts
University for the Creative Arts
Farnham

UCA Farnham Freshers 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Howlingdead
I've just changed the privacy setting so you should be able to find it now :smile:

Just joined now :smile:
Students on campus at the University for the Creative Arts
University for the Creative Arts
Farnham
Original post by WannabeFilmmaker
ahh that sucks :/ BUT someone else on this thread (Howlingdead) has started a fb group called UCA Farnham September 2017 if you want to join that? :smile: I'm literally about to join it now myself

Oooo okay il join that now :smile:
Just wondering about people going to UCA Farnham this september because I keep replying to posts on here only to realise they're from around 1/2 years ago (what a plum)... I haven't seen anything about 2017 freshers yet (it's a bit early still I know) and I especially struggle with finding things about the Farnham campus- anyone else planning on going?

Hi! I'm going to Farnham in September to study Film Production! Can't wait to start the course cause its nothing like I've ever done before! I actually only made a TSR profile today just so I can start to get to know some people who are going!
Original post by lottie-31
Hi! I'm going to Farnham in September to study Film Production! Can't wait to start the course cause its nothing like I've ever done before! I actually only made a TSR profile today just so I can start to get to know some people who are going!

Hiya! I'm glad you're looking forward to it because I'm so excited to start too :smile: - I've only done Media and English lit/lang but not specifically film so I cant wait to experience the whole process and actually make (short) films- what are you looking forward to?
Hiya! I'm glad you're looking forward to it because I'm so excited to start too :smile: - I've only done Media and English lit/lang but not specifically film so I cant wait to experience the whole process and actually make (short) films- what are you looking forward to?

You've got more experience than me! I didn't do Media or any film course so I'm hoping it's an easy transition into the course. I'm doing an Art foundation so I'm coming from a more art film background but I'm looking forward to trying out more narrative work as that's what got me into film making in the first place. :smile: Also the equipment and facilities look amazing so I can't wait to play with them!
You've got more experience than me! I didn't do Media or any film course so I'm hoping it's an easy transition into the course. I'm doing an Art foundation so I'm coming from a more art film background but I'm looking forward to trying out more narrative work as that's what got me into film making in the first place. :smile: Also the equipment and facilities look amazing so I can't wait to play with them!

oooh cool I feel like Art's a really good background to come from and I agree; narrative seems like a really fun concept to play with :smile: Just a little bit nervous my editing skills will be a bit behind everyone else but I'm ready to learn haha- and yeah the equipment looks really good too- have you applied for accommodation?
oooh cool I feel like Art's a really good background to come from and I agree; narrative seems like a really fun concept to play with :smile: Just a little bit nervous my editing skills will be a bit behind everyone else but I'm ready to learn haha- and yeah the equipment looks really good too- have you applied for accommodation?

I did apply for accommodation and I didn't get a room. :frown: Found out today and I've already signed up to StudentTenant so fingers crossed I can find some private accommodation! Have you had any luck with accommodation?
I did apply for accommodation and I didn't get a room. :frown: Found out today and I've already signed up to StudentTenant so fingers crossed I can find some private accommodation! Have you had any luck with accommodation?

Ahhhh that sucks but hopefully you'll find a place! I did get a room but its not same sex like I wanted and I'm sharing it with a boy from my school which I really didnt want tbh because I wanted a fresh start... but oh well! - do you have to travel far to get to the uni from where you live?
Ahhhh that sucks but hopefully you'll find a place! I did get a room but its not same sex like I wanted and I'm sharing it with a boy from my school which I really didnt want tbh because I wanted a fresh start... but oh well! - do you have to travel far to get to the uni from where you live?

Ohhh well maybe you could still have a fresh start! My friend went to uni with a couple of guys from our school and it didn't turn out too bad! I'm about 1h45mins away from the uni so I can't really commute but me and my friend may find somewhere together and find some other housemates. Do you live far from the uni?
Ohhh well maybe you could still have a fresh start! My friend went to uni with a couple of guys from our school and it didn't turn out too bad! I'm about 1h45mins away from the uni so I can't really commute but me and my friend may find somewhere together and find some other housemates. Do you live far from the uni?

Oh hopefully it wont be too bad then and that's good that you have a plan & that you're going with your friend as well :smile: I live about the same distance away (I'm from Kent) so I couldn't commute either- also just a quick note there's a facebook group called "UCA Farnham September 2017" if you want to join that, it was made by someone on this thread in-case people didn't want to talk on TSR constantly but obviously you don't have to if you don't want to :smile:
Oh hopefully it wont be too bad then and that's good that you have a plan & that you're going with your friend as well :smile: I live about the same distance away (I'm from Kent) so I couldn't commute either- also just a quick note there's a facebook group called "UCA Farnham September 2017" if you want to join that, it was made by someone on this thread in-case people didn't want to talk on TSR constantly but obviously you don't have to if you don't want to :smile:

Ooo how strange I'm from just outside of Kent (by like 10 minutes)! :smile: I'll check out that facebook group thanks!
Anyone else here having problems with the map of the student village on the offer page (accommodation)? I just get a blank pop-up window :frown:

PS: I took myself the liberty of joining the FB group previously mentioned! Hope you don't mind ^^
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello! I'm going to Farnham in September too, for the "Glass, Ceramics, Metalwork, and Jewelry" program. Is it okay if I join the facebook group as well?

I'm glad I found some other new students. The other facebook group looks like it's actually the whole student body.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SeaBadger
Anyone else here having problems with the map of the student village on the offer page (accommodation)? I just get a blank pop-up window :frown:

PS: I took myself the liberty of joining the FB group previously mentioned! Hope you don't mind ^^

I don't think its working for anyone at the moments which sucks :/ and yeah I think that's fine, I didn't make it but it is for us newbies to get to know eachother so it should be alright :smile:
Original post by MissSilverwings
Hello! I'm going to Farnham in September too, for the "Glass, Ceramics, Metalwork, and Jewelry" program. Is it okay if I join the facebook group as well?

I'm glad I found some other new students. The other facebook group looks like it's actually the whole student body.

Hiya! Yeah it is the whole uni basically, that's why I made this thread because I couldnt find anyone going to the uni for this years freshers haha- I think its fine if you join the page but I didn't make it someone else here did so credit goes to them :smile:
Hiya! Yeah it is the whole uni basically, that's why I made this thread because I couldnt find anyone going to the uni for this years freshers haha- I think its fine if you join the page but I didn't make it someone else here did so credit goes to them :smile:

I'm just glad I finally found some other new students! I'm moving to Farnham from the USA, so I wasn't looking forward to getting there in September and not knowing anyone...
I'm just glad I finally found some other new students! I'm moving to Farnham from the USA, so I wasn't looking forward to getting there in September and not knowing anyone...

Omg thats awesome! I've always wanted to (one day) road trip America- what a cliche haha, if you don't mind me asking, what made you pick Farnham?
Omg thats awesome! I've always wanted to (one day) road trip America- what a cliche haha, if you don't mind me asking, what made you pick Farnham?

Well, I started off applying for the RSN Embroidery degree... and the course heads decided that I was meant to be in the Glass/Ceramics/Metalwork/Jewellery one. I had been looking at American universities, but none of the art programs I looked at would let me do as much in one program, or had the same kind of facilities. Plus, equivalent American degrees take four or five years, and in that time I could also do a Masters' at Farnham. So... half academic stuff, half "chance for an adventure"?

Road trips are actually one of my favorite things from growing up here. :smile: When you do yours someday, let me know and I'll point you to some interesting places.
Well, I started off applying for the RSN Embroidery degree... and the course heads decided that I was meant to be in the Glass/Ceramics/Metalwork/Jewellery one. I had been looking at American universities, but none of the art programs I looked at would let me do as much in one program, or had the same kind of facilities. Plus, equivalent American degrees take four or five years, and in that time I could also do a Masters' at Farnham. So... half academic stuff, half "chance for an adventure"?

Road trips are actually one of my favorite things from growing up here. :smile: When you do yours someday, let me know and I'll point you to some interesting places.

Oh wow 5 years seems really long in comparison- and I really liked the facilities too, as well as just how practical/hand on it is. Also I'm expecting all the best tips about road trips if that's the case :smile:
Oh wow 5 years seems really long in comparison- and I really liked the facilities too, as well as just how practical/hand on it is. Also I'm expecting all the best tips about road trips if that's the case :smile:

Yeah, I like the fact that the programs seem to be focused on actually teaching us to become independent artists/creators who can survive outside of an academic setting.

And of course :smile: I'm hoping to get to see a bit more than just the inside of the studios and Farnham while I'm there, myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending