The Student Room Group

I hate practicals!

I really dislike practical work in science, particularly chemistry. It may partly be due to the teacher, as my physics and biology teachers explain it well and I have less trouble. Also, they put us into groups whereas the chem teacher lets us choose; nightmare for me as I usually end up with whoever has space.
It's not just a social issue. I have this disconnect with the practical work and the theory. In chemistry, the teacher usually gives us most of the lesson to do the practical and gives us questions on it at the end. I feel like I would learn a lot better if there was more focus on the theory, as when it's explained or written down I understand it. During practical lessons I never have a clue what's going on.
Does anyone else have this issue? I'd be grateful if anyone knows tips on how to deal with this. I have spoken to the teacher about it but he didn't do anything. Thanks!
Original post by Misty Hamada
I really dislike practical work in science, particularly chemistry. It may partly be due to the teacher, as my physics and biology teachers explain it well and I have less trouble. Also, they put us into groups whereas the chem teacher lets us choose; nightmare for me as I usually end up with whoever has space.
It's not just a social issue. I have this disconnect with the practical work and the theory. In chemistry, the teacher usually gives us most of the lesson to do the practical and gives us questions on it at the end. I feel like I would learn a lot better if there was more focus on the theory, as when it's explained or written down I understand it. During practical lessons I never have a clue what's going on.
Does anyone else have this issue? I'd be grateful if anyone knows tips on how to deal with this. I have spoken to the teacher about it but he didn't do anything. Thanks!

Ask for the practical instructions/ details before the class. Read it thoroughly before the class to make sure you understand exactly what you will be doing. If you don't understand then you have time to ask before the practical session. This seems to work very well for my students.
I personally loved practicals in Chemistry and Biology. It's partly what made me want to go on and study a bit of both (Natural Sciences and then Biochemistry when that failed) at University.

I think if you're struggling, it's up to you to try and better prepare. Experiments are often repeated and if you know you're going to do a practical, I'd suggest looking it up via google and no doubt there'll be documentation from a school somewhere outlining their methodology and the background. Familiarizing yourself with that and the theory behind the experiment can be rather useful.
tbh when you do the practicals it doesnt matter too much if you don't know what you're doing.
Heck, i never had a clue (e.g. i had no clue as to how to do titration calcs then suddenly i have to pour a base into an acid and watch some indicator change colour)

BUT, there are two main reasons for the practicals:
1. To pass the practical part, just don't act crazy chucking HCl in peoples faces and ull be fine...
(ok you also need to not have insane luck like me.... creating Aspirin in the second year is easy unless thermal cracking smashes a pear shaped flask, the tongs used to handle the flask break on your second attempt and the classroom fan blows away ur 3rd (and finished) attempt before making observations.)
2. To make the theory behind how the practicals work easy (some people learn better by doing it themselves)

now reason 2 is important here because it doesnt matter if nothing makes sense, there are probs youtube channels of people doing it and the specification (should be able to be accessed easily) should contain every method for every practical. so if you have no clue as to what you're doing, afterwards, read the method, if that fails, look at some revision videos on the topic then repeat...

.... or in my case it's actually learn it. the teacher is crazy, i had to do tests to identify different transition metals at AS. FYI that is A2 stuff.....
hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest