The Student Room Group

Exam Paper Help!! (general)

If last years exam was hard is this years exam more likely to be easier? And vice versa. Looking for experience, thanks :smile:
Original post by bethanyharris
If last years exam was hard is this years exam more likely to be easier? And vice versa. Looking for experience, thanks :smile:

I'm guessing you just sat an SQA maths exam??? And that's what you are referring to? I'm typing a full answer now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Labrador99
I'm guessing you just sat an SQA maths exam???

Yes haha, National 5. Last years was very difficult whereas this years was easy, is this generally true for most exams?

No matter how easy or hard the exam was, the SQA will adjust the grade boundaries, to ensure that virtually the same % of candidates always get an A, B, C, D, fail. So, no matter how easy or hard the exam is, providing you perform on the day, you should get what you would have got any other year if the paper was easier/harder than previous years.
Yes haha, National 5. Last years was very difficult whereas this years was easy, is this generally true for most exams?

I sat higher maths last year and the year before me was the one that had the paper where the pass mark was something like 34% as students overall found it very difficult. The SQA always try to make the papers so that the grade boundaries are 70/60/50/40 % for an A, B, C and D respectively, so if one year, they are way off like they were in 2015 higher, then the following year, it would be expected to be fairer and more like the notional boundaries I mentioned. So, when it came to me doing higher maths in 2016, the paper was comparatively easy and the grade boundaries much more like you would expect.

Whether it is difficult or easy is also very subjective- some people will find one paper easier than another (when overall students found them equally difficult), due to different strengths/weaknesses and which questions come up.

Basically, don't worry about it- the SQA have lots of measures in place that means that as they put it- if you are an A grade candidate, you should get an A in the exam, no matter which year you sit it in, assuming nothing untoward happens and that you look at the grade boundaries for the specific year.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, let me know. :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
I sat higher maths last year and the year before me was the one that had the paper where the pass mark was something like 34% as students overall found it very difficult. The SQA always try to make the papers so that the grade boundaries are 70/60/50/40 % for an A, B, C and D respectively, so if one year, they are way off like they were in 2015 higher, then the following year, it would be expected to be fairer and more like the notional boundaries I mentioned. So, when it came to me doing higher maths in 2016, the paper was comparatively easy and the grade boundaries much more like you would expect.

Whether it is difficult or easy is also very subjective- some people will find one paper easier than another (when overall students found them equally difficult), due to different strengths/weaknesses and which questions come up.

Basically, don't worry about it- the SQA have lots of measures in place that means that as they put it- if you are an A grade candidate, you should get an A in the exam, no matter which year you sit it in, assuming nothing untoward happens and that you look at the grade boundaries for the specific year.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, let me know. :smile:

Thanks for the help!
Is there anyway to see the grade boundaries for various subjects over the years?
Thanks for the help!
Is there anyway to see the grade boundaries for various subjects over the years?

No problem :h:
If you just google search 'SQA Grade Boundaries 2016' or whatever year you're looking for, then it will probably be the first search result and clicking on it opens up an Excel spreadsheet of all of the grade boundaries for Nat /Higher/AH for that year. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending