The Student Room Group

what is the best way to revise using pre made notes?

I really don't like flashcards and I don't really know how else to utilise them besides reading them before completing past papers.
Original post by jarofstarrz
I really don't like flashcards and I don't really know how else to utilise them besides reading them before completing past papers.

For many people it is the act of making the notes (or making the flash cards) which is most useful. In an exam, you will be asked to write about a particular topic, so writing about it (when creating notes / flashcards) is often of more benefit that simply reading someone else's pre-prepared notes.

If you don't have time to do that, then interact with the notes you have. Highlight key words. Circle things. Underline things. Draw arrows between related concepts. This will help your brain to remember what's in the notes / cards more than simply reading them will.
Reply 2

Blurt out what you’re reading. Can be messy writing, doesn’t matter, on paper or whiteboard

Ask synoptic questions and seek the answer in your head first, then textbook, then online as last resource

If it’s something you particularly struggle to remember of very difficult, explain it to someone as if they’re 5. Feynman method. If you can’t explain as if they’re 5, you don’t understand

Highlight key words, processes, maybe explanations etc. You can do that both with digital notes and on paper no?

Exam questions exam questions exam questions. Textbook exam questions first, then topic exam questions, then past paper exam questions once you’ve covered every chapter/ past paper questions where you’ve happened to cover every chapter (hack)

Hey there 😀

One strategy that proved highly effective for me with notes or textbooks was to meticulously read through the material and generate test questions as I progressed, ensuring an engaging study session. Whether written digitally or on paper, this approach not only serves as excellent test preparation but also fosters active learning. Though it may require some time investment, the results are truly rewarding. Personally, I found that employing this method consistently led to the highest grades in every exam or small test.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending