City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) - postgraduate discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ramy rasu
Hi Bridget,

Hope you' re well. Can you tell me, roughly, how may days we will be in University, on the full time mode of study. And secondly,in terms of teaching style, will it be mostly PBL type learning and working with students from other disciplines on projects e.g. architects ect....

Hi @ramy rasu

The course leader has come back to me:

At the moment it is 2 days per week but this could change depending on numbers. There is also an international field trip which is a block week requiring attendance and you work together in a group with real estate, building surveying and construction management students.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Bridget
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here is doing MSc Environmental Management come September? Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the potential days we might be in uni doing a full-time course? :smile:
Hi, I’ll be starting an MA in International Journalism this coming September - I’m very excited to get started, too! 😊I’m just enquiring two things:1 - I know that the official course start date is September 16th; when do we enrol as new students?2 - I know what the modules on offer centred on for the 2018/19 cohort, which is very useful information, but I’m wondering if there’s a recommended reading list at all for the course? I’m just wanting to know so I can do some course-related reading before the course😊Thanks!
Hi @adiliux1

I can speak to the course leader and find this out for you.

Thanks
Bridget
Original post by adiliux1
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here is doing MSc Environmental Management come September? Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the potential days we might be in uni doing a full-time course? :smile:
Hi @michael_aw96

I'll be in touch soon,
Bridget
Original post by michael_aw96
Hi, I’ll be starting an MA in International Journalism this coming September - I’m very excited to get started, too! 😊I’m just enquiring two things:1 - I know that the official course start date is September 16th; when do we enrol as new students?2 - I know what the modules on offer centred on for the 2018/19 cohort, which is very useful information, but I’m wondering if there’s a recommended reading list at all for the course? I’m just wanting to know so I can do some course-related reading before the course😊Thanks!
Hi @adiliux1

The course leader came back to me.

He said:

"The full time students need to be in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There are a small number of occasions where they will need to be in on other days (for example for field trips), depending on which modules they take."

Let me know if you have anymore questions,
Bridget
Hi, thank you ever so much!
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @adiliux1

Thanks
Bridget

Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @adiliux1

The course leader came back to me.

He said:

"The full time students need to be in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There are a small number of occasions where they will need to be in on other days (for example for field trips), depending on which modules they take."

Let me know if you have anymore questions,
Bridget
Hi @michael_aw96

The course leader has come back to me.

Induction for MA students is on September 25, you'll receive notice of this in due course.

I would recommend one of the following for Global Media detail from the module's Core reading list:

Berglez, P. (2013) Global Journalism: Theory and Practice (Global Crises in the Media). Peter Lang: New York.
Campbell, Vincent (2004). Information age journalism: journalism in an international context. London, Arnold.
De Beer A. S. et al (2009) Global journalism: topical issues and media systems.Boston ; London : Pearson, Allyn and Bacon
Flew, T. (2018). Understanding Global Media. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.

On the practical and social media side try: Knight, M., and Cook, C. (2013). Social Media for Journalists: principles and practices. London:
And also: Sage and Harcup, T. (2015). Journalism Principles and Practice.(3rded). London: Sage. Chapter 3. What is news?

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Bridget
Original post by michael_aw96
Reply 208

Yep - that's what I'm doing! Got my unconditional last week can't wait to get going.
Hi,

I’m thinking about applying to do a masters in Psychology. They say it’s a full time course but it’s taught face to face in 4 intensive weeks and then the rest of the time is online learning. Does this mean I’d be ok with living at home and completing the course and commuting during the 4 weeks or will I have to still be around at uni during the rest of the time?
Wooo! Finally found someone, I'm excited but also nervous too!
Original post by Domd13
Yep - that's what I'm doing! Got my unconditional last week can't wait to get going.
Hey, is anyone starting MSc Big Data Analytics in September? I’ve been looking on Facebook groups for the past few months and can’t find anyone.
Hi, I've accepted an offer for MSc Psychology (conversion), any one else doing this course? Also I'm going to be commuting from Durham, any one else thinking about commuting?
Original post by Miss Charlie
Hi, I've accepted an offer for MSc Psychology (conversion), any one else doing this course? Also I'm going to be commuting from Durham, any one else thinking about commuting?

Hello @Miss Charlie

Congratulation on your offer to study at Sheffield Hallam :congrats:

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to let us know!

-Rachel
hi,
Iv recieved an offer for MA digital media management anyone else?
Original post by Lesleyuni
hi,
Iv recieved an offer for MA digital media management anyone else?

Hi @Lesleyuni,

Congrats on your offer to study with us!:jive: Let us know how we can help you with your university decision, I am happy to answer anything to do with studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield. You can also chat to a bunch of current students on our chat platform who can answer any questions you may have.
- Ella :h:
Reply 216
Hello, is anyone starting in Sept or Jan for the MA in Creative Writing course?
Original post by boeyc
Hello, is anyone starting in Sept or Jan for the MA in Creative Writing course?

Hi @boeyc,
Congrats on your offer to study with us! We're looking forward to welcoming you to Hallam. You can keep up to date with the latest info for the new academic year on our applicant advice page. Let me know if you have any questions about studying here or student life in Sheffield. :h:
- Ella
Hi, I’m applying to study MSc Human Resource Management. Was just wondering if anyone knows roughly how long it will take for them to get back to you once you’ve applied?
Original post by LoveIsLaserquest
Hi, I’m applying to study MSc Human Resource Management. Was just wondering if anyone knows roughly how long it will take for them to get back to you once you’ve applied?

Hello @LoveIsLaserquest

It is great to hear you have applied to Sheffield Hallam for your postgraduate study.
Our admissions team are working through all new applications as quickly as they can, so please do not worry if you have not heard back yet.
There is no set time they will respond to applications however it is normally withing a couple of weeks, however this can vary due to a number of reasons including their high work load which may delaying when they can start to work through your application.

I hope that you get a response soon, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
-Rachel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending