The Student Room Group

I have been disqualified from my course for plagerism

I have been crying for the past few days after the university I am at disqualified me from the course after I did copy some bits in my dissertation the problem was in a rush I forgot to change the words and reference the parts I copied I thought I may lose marks but I did not think they would be this hard on me is there any way I can appeal this it has ruined my life

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by desperate need
I have been crying for the past few days after the university I am at disqualified me from the course after I did copy some bits in my dissertation the problem was in a rush I forgot to change the words and reference the parts I copied I thought I may lose marks but I did not think they would be this hard on me is there any way I can appeal this it has ruined my life
#FirstWorldProblems.

Shouldn't have plagiarized then, should you?

You knowingly plagiarised which you knew to be wrong. This is gross academic misconduct, there's no way an appeal is going to work. You broke the university regulations, what did you expect? They have software to check if you've plagiarised, how have you not known this after nearly three years of being there? Being in a rush is not an excuse, they give you months to do your dissertation, not days.
Can't do the time, don't do the crime. Go and get a pumpkin spice latte from starbuck's and post on tumblr about how you are being victimised.

"I did copy some bits in my dissertation the problem being i was in a rush"
This is not an excuse. Obviously I can't speak for every uni and every course but I know at my university we had all of third year to be working on our dissertation, I think we even had meetings at the end of second year to discuss our general ideas. Being in a rush comes down to poor planning on your part.

Also the fact that you didn't reference it because you forgot doesn't give me that much hope that you proof read it either? (Maybe you don't do this but whenever i was referencing something, i'd write what i wanted to reference and then highlight the quote red so that when I was going through afterwards I was able to check the references and check they were all there)

You won't be able to appeal it without good reason and supporting evidence. Being in a rush is neither of these things. And it's doubtful you'd be able to appeal now anyway as a lot of evidence needs to be dated before hand.

For example I got an extension on my final piece but I had supporting notes dating back over a year from the GP about my health and the checkups and stuff like that..
Reply 5
this is why when your university tells you not to plagiarise, you should listen
I don't know why people ever think a copy paste job is a good idea. It will easily get picked up by Turnitin.

It would have been far better to submit an incomplete/rough around the edges bit of work. But too late now.
You idiot... I would hate to be you. Read the book green eggs and ham because it will cheer you up
Reply 8

Lol
Not trying to be harsh but what did you expect, surely you know about the checks they do when it is submitted?

Well what do you expect your told if you commit plagiarism you'll be kicked out. You knew what you were doing (what you've done). I was told within the first hour of the first day the if I plagiarised or colluded then I would be disqualified no if's no buts.

If you were a fresher I'd feel a little sorry for you but you were (because lets face it your not a student anymore) a third year who really should have known better to be honest I'm a little disappointed that third year could do this and think they'd get away with it. You deserve to leave with nothing you'll get not sympathy from me or many other people on this forum.

In short your ****ed you have no funding left and any good marks you may have had are now invalid because the unis view will be if you plagiarised once whats to say you didn't in other assignments. You won't succeed in an appeal it's all over
there is no hope your done.

I look forward to ordering a burger from you in the future.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Well what do you expect your told if you commit plagiarism you'll be kicked out. You knew what you were doing (what you've done). I was told within the first hour of the first day the if I plagiarised or colluded then I would be disqualified no if's no buts.

If you were a fresher I'd feel a little sorry for you but you were (because lets face it your not a student anymore) a third year who really should have known better to be honest I'm a little disappointed that third year could do this and think they'd get away with it. You deserve to leave with nothing you'll get not sympathy from me or many other people on this forum.

In short your ****ed you have no funding left and any good marks you may have had are now invalid because the unis view will be if you plagiarised once whats to say you didn't in other assignments. You won't succeed in an appeal it's all over
there is no hope your done.

I look forward to ordering a burger from you in the future.

Wow harsh.
Original post by charsti
Wow harsh.

yes but he deserves it it was really really dumb.

What are you appealing? That you fully accept that you were guilty of academic cheating but don't like the consequences of that action....?

I presume you've plagiarised material before in order for them to kick you off the course for this most recent infraction. This is how it works - and how it should work.

You can ofc appeal it.
Go and talk to an advisor in the SU plus research the rules, but it looks like you plagiarised.
Your post gives the impression you dont understand what plagiarism is.

it's ok, everything will work out okay for you in the end. Your life isn't over. People on this thread need to be more understanding of how this person is feeling. He's already devastated and your comments won't be making him feel any better
Original post by a.myhall
it's ok, everything will work out okay for you in the end. Your life isn't over. People on this thread need to be more understanding of how this person is feeling. He's already devastated and your comments won't be making him feel any better

Exactly. OP came here looking for help, not to be moaned at. They probably feel bad as it is anyway, and they know they did wrong. Moaning doesn't make things any better.
Original post by TheDragonGuy
Exactly. OP came here looking for help, not to be moaned at. They probably feel bad as it is anyway, and they know they did wrong. Moaning doesn't make things any better.

they can only appeal , what other help can we provide?
Well you're ****ed arent you... Now all three years at university have been for nothing. Zero sympathy.
Original post by a.myhall

The OP freely admits that he plagiarised material off the internet. Why do you think that we should be trying to 'make him feel better' for stealing someone else's work and presenting it as his or her own thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending