The Student Room Group

Group Theory Help Please

Can some explain the method to solve b)ii in question 1 and a)ii in question 2 please?

Thank you.
Original post by e^x
Can some explain the method to solve b)ii in question 1 and a)ii in question 2 please?

Thank you.

I'm not aware of any particular method, as somewhat rusty on these, but I'd work out the cyclic subgroup generated by each of the elements and then consider interactions between the two subgroups.

1(b)ii.

The above covers it.

2((a)ii

Both generators are actually the same one. Why/how?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by e^x

Thank you.

1bii - can you show that r is in H?

2aii - what is r^6?
For dihedral groups it is sometimes nice to draw a picture...
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
I'm not aware of any particular method, as somewhat rusty on these, but I'd work out the cyclic subgroup generated by each of the elements and then consider interactions between the two subgroups.

1(b)ii.

The above covers it.
Do you mean work out the group generated by s and the group generated by r^3*s and then the group generated by r^3*s*s = r^3?

2((a)ii

Is it because r^6 = e?

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RichE
Yes, because I know that r^3*s*s = r^3 belongs to H so (r^3)^2 = r^6 belongs to H, that is r^6 = r^-1 = r belongs to H
2aii - what is r^6?

r^6= e

For the first one are you trying to say that if you can show that s belongs to H and r belongs to H then H=G?

Still not sure for about the second one

1(b)ii.
Do you mean work out the group generated by s and the group generated by r^3*s and then the group generated by r^3*s*s = r^3?

First two bits, yes. For the last bit you need to look at all interactions between the two subgroups, and see what arises. As I said, I'm rusty, so there may be a better method. Yep - see RichE's posts.

2((a)ii

Is it because r^6 = e?

Yes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by e^x
For the first one are you trying to say that if you can show that s belongs to H and r belongs to H then H=G?

Yes, if you can show r is indeed in H.
(r3s)5=rs ( r^3 s )^{5} = rs

Do r r and rs rs together generate D14 D_{14} ?

You will need to use a theorem about 'words' of generators.
(edited 6 years ago)
As for the second question

recall r6=e r^6 = e , we then have that s,r6s=s \langle s, r^6 s \rangle = \langle s \rangle . What elements are in this group?
Original post by Louisb19

(r3s)2=(r3s)r3s[br]=(sr4)r3s[br]=sr7s[br]=e[br] ( r^3 s )^{2} = (r^3s)r^3s[br]=(sr^4)r^3s[br]=sr^7s[br]=e[br]

Hence

(r3s)5=r3srs ( r^3 s )^{5} = r^3s \not= rs

Or am I misunderstanding something?
Reply 11

Is that true? Isn't r^3s a reflection and so order 2?
(r3s)2=(r3s)r3s[br]=(sr4)r3s[br]=sr7s[br]=e[br] ( r^3 s )^{2} = (r^3s)r^3s[br]=(sr^4)r^3s[br]=sr^7s[br]=e[br]

Hence

(r3s)5=r3srs ( r^3 s )^{5} = r^3s \not= rs

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Yeah sorry, you are right. Too late at night be be doing maths LMAO.

For some reason I was treating it as if it was abelian.
Reply 13
Original post by RichE

I get how to do the first question now, I never learned that if you can show s and r are in H then H=G.For some reason my lecturer seemed to have changed the second Q which i have attached again. I get how to obtain the answer for this Q using ghostwalker's method but do u have an alternative method for this?
Reply 14
First two bits, yes. For the last bit you need to look at all interactions between the two subgroups, and see what arises. As I said, I'm rusty, so there may be a better method. Yep - see RichE's posts.

Yes.

Original post by RichE

Thank you.
Reply 15
Original post by e^x
... but do u have an alternative method for this?

If you start working out products and inverses of r^3 and s (always simplifying your answers) you'll see you can't generate that many elements. With dihedral groups it's also good to appreciate visually what these elements are.
Reply 16

1(b)ii.

The above covers it.

2((a)ii

Original post by RichE

2aii - what is r^6?

I've got another question, how do you get to the second line starting from U(x,tau)?

In line one, the first exponential has power 4y and the second exponential has power (-(x-y)^2)/4*tau.

It seems like working backwards after completing the square.

The questions is to do with Gauss's solution for the heat equation and using the error function.
Reply 17
No idea what you're asking. What's the question? And important lines of the image seem to be be omitted or partially cropped.

Or looking at it now, does "line one" actually refer to line three of that image?

PS now that I've a sense what you're asking, it's just algebra. Expand the exponent in the second integral.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest