The Student Room Group

Stressed from A-levels

Hi I have recently started y A-levels, but it's getting stressful, there's one thing causing me stress rn and its sociology. It's all the names and theories that sociologists have put forward and It's confusing me a lot and I have no idea how I'm going to remember them all, and not to mention that I have pressure from all angles to do well in my A-levels and it's just stressful
Reply 1
Original post by Alonepast
Hi I have recently started y A-levels, but it's getting stressful, there's one thing causing me stress rn and its sociology. It's all the names and theories that sociologists have put forward and It's confusing me a lot and I have no idea how I'm going to remember them all, and not to mention that I have pressure from all angles to do well in my A-levels and it's just stressful

One step at a time. I assume you will have mini class tests coming up, which just test the topic you are currently working on. Don’t stress about the whole course, just focus on those and revise for them by doing flash cards to test your memory. Those tests will then build up your confidence and knowledge.
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi @Alonepast,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling at the moment! I understand that A-levels can be a stressful time. Remember that stress is a normal part of the process, but there are things you can do to manage it.

Make sure to prioritise self-care, such as getting enough sleep, eating well, and taking breaks. This is so important to ensure you don’t burn-out and start to panic. You could break your study sessions into smaller, manageable tasks, and try different techniques like looking over past papers/coursework or creating study schedules. And, always remember to reach out to your teachers, friends, or family for support if you need it. Take it one step at a time and you’ll get there :smile:

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
look mate, its just a levels. just pass and go through clearing

Hi @Alonepast,

I am sorry to hear how stressful A-levels are for you at the moment. How are you finding your other subjects?

As @lalexm mentioned, breaking big tasks into smaller tasks might help reduce stress but ultimately I can see that you are worried about remembering all the names and theories. Firstly, I would ask your teacher how to approach remembering all the names and theories and ask them to emphasise which ones are more important to remember than others. As for working on remembering them, I would recommend trying to talk about the content with classmates/friends. When I studied Psychology at university I tried this and found it helpful to remember names. Study groups can be so helpful to help you understand theories on a deeper level which may help you remember them more easily. If you are not able to set up a group yourself, try asking your teacher as they might be able to put you into groups. Revising outside of class and teaching each other is a common way people at university use to help revise. You can also make inside jokes and memes to help you remember the information!

As highlighted by @UniofChester Rep, looking after your mental health is so important and should be your priority. It might sound counterproductive but regular breaks will help in the long term with productivity. Sleep is also very important to help you remember all the things you are trying to remember! There is research to show that we consolidate new information into our memories when we sleep.

I hope this helps and good luck with your a-levels! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Alonepast,

I am sorry to hear how stressful A-levels are for you at the moment. How are you finding your other subjects?

As @lalexm mentioned, breaking big tasks into smaller tasks might help reduce stress but ultimately I can see that you are worried about remembering all the names and theories. Firstly, I would ask your teacher how to approach remembering all the names and theories and ask them to emphasise which ones are more important to remember than others. As for working on remembering them, I would recommend trying to talk about the content with classmates/friends. When I studied Psychology at university I tried this and found it helpful to remember names. Study groups can be so helpful to help you understand theories on a deeper level which may help you remember them more easily. If you are not able to set up a group yourself, try asking your teacher as they might be able to put you into groups. Revising outside of class and teaching each other is a common way people at university use to help revise. You can also make inside jokes and memes to help you remember the information!

As highlighted by @UniofChester Rep, looking after your mental health is so important and should be your priority. It might sound counterproductive but regular breaks will help in the long term with productivity. Sleep is also very important to help you remember all the things you are trying to remember! There is research to show that we consolidate new information into our memories when we sleep.

I hope this helps and good luck with your a-levels! :smile:

Alia

My other A-levels are going alright at the moment I chose psychology, sociology and health & social care for A-levels. It's only sociology that is causing me the problems but I'll consider what you have said. Thanks for the help :smile:
My other A-levels are going alright at the moment I chose psychology, sociology and health & social care for A-levels. It's only sociology that is causing me the problems but I'll consider what you have said. Thanks for the help :smile:

Hey @Alonepast,

Glad to hear your other a-levels are going alright at the moment. Those other subjects really compliment each other we'll so I hope there is overlap in them to make it easier for you.

I hope sociology becomes more enjoyable.

Alia
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hey @Alonepast,

Glad to hear your other a-levels are going alright at the moment. Those other subjects really compliment each other we'll so I hope there is overlap in them to make it easier for you.

I hope sociology becomes more enjoyable.

Alia

Yes I have seen an overlap with the subjects. I want to become an occupational therapist and those A-levels would be good for becoming an occupational therapist. Thanks again for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest