The Student Room Group

The FA talks with gay players are failing

Interesting article this about issues the FA are having with talks with gay players http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39929690
If i'm a gay player for lets say Arsenal, i'm thinking why is there a need to "come out" in public, what good would it do me? Most footballers are probably sick to death of having their personal life covered in the papers, why give them more ammo. I can guarantee that there will be players at big clubs who've told their manager and their team mates but it's kept in house.

There's guaranteed to be plenty of chanting about it and whilst obviously unpleasant i'm not sure if that'll bother the players too much. Look at some of the horrific chants that already get sung up and down the country towards players like John Terry.
Reply 2
Original post by sr90
Look at some of the horrific chants that already get sung up and down the country towards players like John Terry.

True. The amount of people who gave him stick for having an alleged affair was ridiculous. What if a footballer is gay? If a gay footballer played for Chelsea, it would be interesting to see the homophobic chants from some Spurs and Arsenal fans considering they have often used to point the finger at Chelsea fans for having racist fans. Quite sure Graeme Le Saux got plenty of stick for being gay despite having a wife and kids, and Robbie Fowler belatedly apologised to Graeme for his homophobic slur when they both played.
I agree with the above. I couldn't care less if a player is gay. Why does it really matter? If I played, I wouldn't want the whole world to know. Why do they need to know? For me, it would be a private matter.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I agree with the above. I couldn't care less if a player is gay. Why does it really matter? If I played, I wouldn't want the whole world to know. Why do they need to know? For me, it would be a private matter.

The issue isn't whether it's noteworthy or not.

It's about no one feeling safe to even potentially come out.
Original post by yudothis
The issue isn't whether it's noteworthy or not.

It's about no one feeling safe to even potentially come out.

As Justin Fashanu's example even though many years ago shows. Those who have come out have done so post their playing career in England.
Yeah Thomas Hitzelsperger came out not long after he announced his retirement

Quick Reply

Latest