The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath's degree classification criteria?

Weird question but someone might know....does anyone have any ideas on what Bath's criteria are for meeting a degree classification (e.g. 1st, 2:1....)

The reason I ask is because im currently studying here. At Exeter (where I did my last degree), they didn't just give you a first if you had an average of 70% from all your modules. The criteria were specifically (for a first):

1) An overall mark of 69.50% for your degree (i.e. they round 69.5 up to 70)
OR
2) 68% overall mark, IF half of your modules were graded 70% or over

They had the same thing for 2:1 and 2:2 (just different percentages you had to hit.

Does anyone know if they have a similar system at Bath? Or whether they officially round your degree mark up to 70 if its up to 69.5?

EDIT-the reason i ask is that I have a suspicion that they do....I was awarded "70%" in a module back in January when results came in, although if you officially look at the numbers for each assessment it would have been 69.6% without rounding. I'm just curious if I have more room to play with, with getting a first with my last few assessments.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by QuentinM
Weird question but someone might know....does anyone have any ideas on what Bath's criteria are for meeting a degree classification (e.g. 1st, 2:1....)

The reason I ask is because im currently studying here. At Exeter (where I did my last degree), they didn't just give you a first if you had an average of 70% from all your modules. The criteria were specifically (for a first):

1) An overall mark of 69.50% for your degree (i.e. they round 69.5 up to 70)
OR
2) 68% overall mark, IF half of your modules were graded 70% or over

They had the same thing for 2:1 and 2:2 (just different percentages you had to hit.

Does anyone know if they have a similar system at Bath? Or whether they officially round your degree mark up to 70 if its up to 69.5?

EDIT-the reason i ask is that I have a suspicion that they do....I was awarded "70%" in a module back in January when results came in, although if you officially look at the numbers for each assessment it would have been 69.6% without rounding. I'm just curious if I have more room to play with, with getting a first with my last few assessments.

Hi,

I know that so far my results are to one decimal place, and to my knowledge the final grade that I achieve will just be a weighting of all of the modules I have completed. Maybe I am wrong! It looks to me like you are studying a postgraduate course, which I am not knowledgable about. I would suggest contacting your Director of Studies for clarification on this.

Good luck,
Hayden
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Quick Reply

Latest