The Student Room Group

Switching unis and courses

Im currently a first year at University of Bath studying international development with economics, and to be honest ive been kind of miserable here since ive started... the course is extremely boring and the lectures are pretty bad, it doesnt correlate with what i want to do in the future so ive decided i want to switch courses to something else. If my current uni doesnt allow me to switch then im going to start looking into transfering unis, ive already sent enquiries to RHUL and Lancaster. But i was wondering does Sfe cover a course switch since im in second semester of my first year? also how would this work since i havent really made a UCAS applpication.
Original post by Anonymous
Im currently a first year at University of Bath studying international development with economics, and to be honest ive been kind of miserable here since ive started... the course is extremely boring and the lectures are pretty bad, it doesnt correlate with what i want to do in the future so ive decided i want to switch courses to something else. If my current uni doesnt allow me to switch then im going to start looking into transfering unis, ive already sent enquiries to RHUL and Lancaster. But i was wondering does Sfe cover a course switch since im in second semester of my first year? also how would this work since i havent really made a UCAS applpication.

SFE should cover your new degree as long as you don't start the second year of your degree (if you do, they'll only cover two years of your new degree and will be left funding the third and final year by yourself).

We're about 3/4 of the way through the academic year so no one is going to let you switch now. What you can do is start a new degree from scratch (at your current university or elsewhere, it doesn't matter as long as you're happy with the place). You'll apply via UCAS, but since regrettably the equal considerations deadline has passed, you'll either need to see which universities will accept your late application, or attempt clearing, or take a year out and reapply in time for 2025 entry.
Original post by Anonymous

I recommend you read the first post on the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Original post by Scotland Yard
SFE should cover your new degree as long as you don't start the second year of your degree (if you do, they'll only cover two years of your new degree and will be left funding the third and final year by yourself).

We're about 3/4 of the way through the academic year so no one is going to let you switch now. What you can do is start a new degree from scratch (at your current university or elsewhere, it doesn't matter as long as you're happy with the place). You'll apply via UCAS, but since regrettably the equal considerations deadline has passed, you'll either need to see which universities will accept your late application, or attempt clearing, or take a year out and reapply in time for 2025 entry.
I'll probably go through clearing if i decide to transfer... im still kinda stuck though i dont know if im being dramatic and if i stick to this course at bath i might be better off bc their placement programme is rlly good and they have rlly good student satisfaction... But also if i switch unis i may be better off because appartently most employers dont care abt what uni you went to... and a degree more relevant to finance such as BSc economics may get me where i want to go more easily... i just dont know if all this is my anxiety taking over and causing me to make rash decsions or if its for the best..
Original post by sylvaticia
I'll probably go through clearing if i decide to transfer... im still kinda stuck though i dont know if im being dramatic and if i stick to this course at bath i might be better off bc their placement programme is rlly good and they have rlly good student satisfaction... But also if i switch unis i may be better off because appartently most employers dont care abt what uni you went to... and a degree more relevant to finance such as BSc economics may get me where i want to go more easily... i just dont know if all this is my anxiety taking over and causing me to make rash decsions or if its for the best..
Hi there,

I'm sorry to read that you're such with this decision. Can I ask what course you're thinking of transferring to/ what career you're leaning towards?

Experience is just as valuable as the degree itself so that is a consideration, however, if you're not enjoying the content, chances are that you won't enjoy the experience! Are there career advisors at your university that can help you make your decision with confidence?

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

I'm sorry to read that you're such with this decision. Can I ask what course you're thinking of transferring to/ what career you're leaning towards?

Experience is just as valuable as the degree itself so that is a consideration, however, if you're not enjoying the content, chances are that you won't enjoy the experience! Are there career advisors at your university that can help you make your decision with confidence?

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Im thinking of transferring to BSc economics so i can do something with financial services like consulting or i dont know something that might make me money. I would say sometimes the lectures are alright but ive noticed something that bothers be are the other students sometimes, they make it sound like this course is the worse and the lectures are rlly bad... which i agree to an extent the tutorials are a waste of time and some of our lecturers would just read over slideshows... and ik that shouldnt determine whether i like the course but it kinda feels like their attitude is affecting mine towards the course sometimes..? But sometimes it doesnt feel like its too bad. And yeah i was going to make my way to student support today to talk to someone about my decision...
but im also paranoid sometimes like is there some mutual agreement among my other coursemates that this course is gonna lead us to a dead end or something...?! Its probably my anxiety speaking but i dont know.. i might just be basing it off a few students say the lectures are boring haha...

They have really good student satisfaction, yes, but you yourself seem unsatisfied with the course. That's very important and definitely something in favour of you wishing to switch universities or courses.

Most employers indeed don't care where you went to. What they care about really is your degree classification, and you're more likely to get a higher degree classification if you're someplace in where you're happy.

Re: coursemates thinking the degree will lead you to a dead end. I think that's just that many university students think of their own degree without it actually being true, or they say that as a joke. If you truly think doing it is a dead end, then indeed you'll end up in a dead end, but if you are looking for the opportunities offered to you by your degree, then you'll do something useful with your degree.
Original post by Scotland Yard
They have really good student satisfaction, yes, but you yourself seem unsatisfied with the course. That's very important and definitely something in favour of you wishing to switch universities or courses.

Most employers indeed don't care where you went to. What they care about really is your degree classification, and you're more likely to get a higher degree classification if you're someplace in where you're happy.

Re: coursemates thinking the degree will lead you to a dead end. I think that's just that many university students think of their own degree without it actually being true, or they say that as a joke. If you truly think doing it is a dead end, then indeed you'll end up in a dead end, but if you are looking for the opportunities offered to you by your degree, then you'll do something useful with your degree.
That's true.. I like covering the content on my own sometimes but i dont rlly like the lectures.. im not sure if that means i hate the course, also im wondering if going to a less repuatble uni to study economics may lead me to the same position cos them im gonna convince myself that the other uni doesnt have as many opportunites as bath and im not gonna be successful or whatever, like someone asked me if i actually dislike the course or is it just my anxiety thats making me feel like i have to switch or im gonna be unsuccessful, therefore making me unhappy. I think its something ill have to think more about before i make any rash decsions.
That's true.. I like covering the content on my own sometimes but i dont rlly like the lectures.. im not sure if that means i hate the course, also im wondering if going to a less repuatble uni to study economics may lead me to the same position cos them im gonna convince myself that the other uni doesnt have as many opportunites as bath and im not gonna be successful or whatever, like someone asked me if i actually dislike the course or is it just my anxiety thats making me feel like i have to switch or im gonna be unsuccessful, therefore making me unhappy. I think its something ill have to think more about before i make any rash decsions.

I'd recommend that you also make an appointment with your uni's careers service. Tell them what you are interested in doing when you graduate and they will be able to advise if you can achieve that with your current degree or if economics will help you more. Work experience adds significantly to a graduate CV so having a placement year is very worthwhile.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi there, I’m currently in Y13 and am waiting on a decision/offer for this specific course at bath. Would you be able to tell me what actually has made the course less enjoyable for you. Is it that it focuses more so on the international development side rather than economics? Which is something I was also concerned about. Would you also be able to tell me your predicted grades and what they offered you, as I’m at AAC and an A in an epq but meet the conditional which has brought their requirements down from AAB to ABB. If you could respond to this it would be extremely helpful. Thank you. I hope everything works out for you and you find the right path for you.

I wouldn't recommend waiting until Clearing to apply. You still need a full UCAS application to use Clearing and it's more difficult to get that sorted in the summer when staff might not be around to provide a reference.

Plus if you apply now as a late application you get 5 choices....and can still then opt to use Clearing later on.

Talk to someone about getting a reference for a UCAS application and start submitting your UCAS application ASAP (get it done over Easter). It won't take long to do and it doesn't commit you to leaving just because you're applying elsewhere - it keeps your options as open as possible.
Original post by Tedmorgan
Hi there, I’m currently in Y13 and am waiting on a decision/offer for this specific course at bath. Would you be able to tell me what actually has made the course less enjoyable for you. Is it that it focuses more so on the international development side rather than economics? Which is something I was also concerned about. Would you also be able to tell me your predicted grades and what they offered you, as I’m at AAC and an A in an epq but meet the conditional which has brought their requirements down from AAB to ABB. If you could respond to this it would be extremely helpful. Thank you. I hope everything works out for you and you find the right path for you.
Yeah its mostly that they focus on the development side more than econ, which im personally not too interested in :/ i would admit that since ive made this post the course has been slighly more enjoyable for me so im considering continuing with this course or at least taking a year out have more time to reconisider my options. In the first yr we have introduction to econ lectures and seminars but its very much separate from the development lectures, like during tutorials its only international development. If youre mainly interested in econ i dont think i would recommend cos it becomes more focused on development during the second yr.
But this is also my personal experience, i think i made this post while very emotional and anxious as my mental health hasnt been great so i had this idea that i had to get out of this course or its over for me lol. Some other students would say they rlly enjoy this course. the development lectures can be quite interesting and there is less math required which makes the course quite easy for me.
Original post by PQ
I wouldn't recommend waiting until Clearing to apply. You still need a full UCAS application to use Clearing and it's more difficult to get that sorted in the summer when staff might not be around to provide a reference.
Plus if you apply now as a late application you get 5 choices....and can still then opt to use Clearing later on.
Talk to someone about getting a reference for a UCAS application and start submitting your UCAS application ASAP (get it done over Easter). It won't take long to do and it doesn't commit you to leaving just because you're applying elsewhere - it keeps your options as open as possible.
Oh okay thanks! Since making this post ive been reconsidering and i probably wont transfer anyways, ive decided to stick with it for now or at least take a year out to have more time to reconsider if this course is for me. But yeah i was working on my UCAS application at this time as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending