The Student Room Group

Medicine open days

Any tips and tricks for open days for medicine? I'm quite shy when it comes to talking to people ì don't know and going to places I've never been before.
Youre gonna need to get over that shyness to be a doctor, also to come across as confident at interview- start by speaking more to people in general, retail workers, fast food just ask them how their day has been etc you will naturally get more confident.
Reply 2
Original post by Rosewater180
Any tips and tricks for open days for medicine? I'm quite shy when it comes to talking to people ì don't know and going to places I've never been before.

You don't really need to do a whole lot for the open days, just show up in the right place and follow the schedule for the day - there'll usually be talks and tours of some sort. Some people may be with mates, some may try to talk to you and you should respond appropriately, but you don't have to make friends with everyone.

Make sure you know the details of your journey so you can get there easily, and have a fully charged phone with credit in case something goes wrong and you need to change plans.
Original post by Helenia
You don't really need to do a whole lot for the open days, just show up in the right place and follow the schedule for the day - there'll usually be talks and tours of some sort. Some people may be with mates, some may try to talk to you and you should respond appropriately, but you don't have to make friends with everyone.

Make sure you know the details of your journey so you can get there easily, and have a fully charged phone with credit in case something goes wrong and you need to change plans.

I'm still PRSOM to you Helenia, i think this advice applies to any form of open day,
Reply 4
Hey there :-) Don't worry too much about open days. My main tip would be to just put yourself out there and ask as many questions as you can, especially if there are current medical students leading tours/hanging about. The whole point of an open day is to find out what studying medicine at that uni would be like and the best people to give you insight into that are the current medical students!

I realise that being proactive with questions might seem daunting if you are shy but I'd really encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and just go for it! Also don't worry if you are currently quite shy, many people are/were at your age and it is something that you can definitely improve on :-)

Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions regarding medical applications!

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending