The Student Room Group

Career choices

My parents want me to be a doctor and choose Biology Maths etc that’s going to take me that path way. However personally I love art and I am quite good at it but my parents don’t really support me doing it. (Asian parent traditional views are killing me..)
Reply 1
Original post by Llllan
My parents want me to be a doctor and choose Biology Maths etc that’s going to take me that path way. However personally I love art and I am quite good at it but my parents don’t really support me doing it. (Asian parent traditional views are killing me..)

Bro I have the similar problem…
Reply 2
Original post by 13spring02
Bro I have the similar problem…

Ahhhhh relate!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 3
I’m fine w doing maths and chem but my parents are really pushing for bio but I’ve never really enjoyed it. I would like to do an essay subject like English, but then my dilemma is I have 3 a levels that don’t really match (ie maths chem and bio “matches” and is a straight path to medicine). If I do do medicine Unis would prefer 3-science people rather than me. I’m so scared to go against my parents, but if I do, then I’m just making it harder for myself anyway. Help!!!!!!!
Reply 4
Show them the details of other Uni courses - Pharmacy, Natural Sciences, Cancer Biology etc. Go to to Open Days for Med but sign up for presentations on other subjects as well - they may then realise the value of these other subjects vs, Med.

However, you could still do Med etc with only two science subjects - the 3rd subject is not usually specified and can literally be anything. Med School do not prefer those taking 3 sciences unless they specifically state this. So you could still do Eng Lit. See https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf
Reply 5
Original post by 13spring02
I’m fine w doing maths and chem but my parents are really pushing for bio but I’ve never really enjoyed it. I would like to do an essay subject like English, but then my dilemma is I have 3 a levels that don’t really match (ie maths chem and bio “matches” and is a straight path to medicine). If I do do medicine Unis would prefer 3-science people rather than me. I’m so scared to go against my parents, but if I do, then I’m just making it harder for myself anyway. Help!!!!!!!

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE!!!!!!!! Maths bio and chem is the way my parents want me to go too. I mean i dont enjoy it and there are loads of people out there who loves maths chem and bio(probs better than me). So why cant we just do the subjects we am good at? :c
Reply 6
Original post by Llllan

Heya!
For medicine you need 2 alvls which are usually chem and bio and the 3rd one can be anything else e.g. art :h: You can use this medical school comparison to check! As stated above, I would also support going to Open Days and looking over different career options outside of medicine. You can also use prospects to check out different courses :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Show them the details of other Uni courses - Pharmacy, Natural Sciences, Cancer Biology etc. Go to to Open Days for Med but sign up for presentations on other subjects as well - they may then realise the value of these other subjects vs, Med.

However, you could still do Med etc with only two science subjects - the 3rd subject is not usually specified and can literally be anything. Med School do not prefer those taking 3 sciences unless they specifically state this. So you could still do Eng Lit. See https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf

Thanks so much for this, it’s really helpful!
Reply 8
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
For medicine you need 2 alvls which are usually chem and bio and the 3rd one can be anything else e.g. art :h: You can use this medical school comparison to check! As stated above, I would also support going to Open Days and looking over different career options outside of medicine. You can also use prospects to check out different courses :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Right! Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest