The Student Room Group

ratio exam question

hi , there are so many different type of ratio questions that come up that I don't know which method to use
there are between 25 and 35 students in a class
ratio of boys to girls is 4:7
how many students are in the class?

the only step I know is you add 4 and 7 =11
Original post by usernamenew
hi , there are so many different type of ratio questions that come up that I don't know which method to use
there are between 25 and 35 students in a class
ratio of boys to girls is 4:7
how many students are in the class?

the only step I know is you add 4 and 7 =11

Good start. The total number of people must be a multiple of this number (11 in this case). Do you understand what to do now?
Reply 2
Original post by britishtf2
Good start. The total number of people must be a multiple of this number (11 in this case). Do you understand what to do now?

thank you and no i dont know but is it something to do with multiples of 11
thank you and no i dont know

If the total number of people must be a multiple of 11, and you have a range, you should be able to narrow down which number(s) it can be. In this case, you will be left with only one choice, which is the answer. So yes, it is to do with multiples of 11.

Spoiler

Reply 4
If the total number of people must be a multiple of 11, and you have a range, you should be able to narrow down which number(s) it can be. In this case, you will be left with only one choice, which is the answer. So yes, it is to do with multiples of 11.

Spoiler

thank you so much i understand now
thank you so much i understand now

No problem.
Reply 6
No problem.

do you mind helping me with this question
do you first find out the area of the whole triangle using the cosine rule?
thats all i know
thats all i know

Yes, then you can take away the area of the sector.

You know the angle and the radius which is enough info to work out the area of the sector.
Reply 8
Original post by RDKGames
Yes, then you can take away the area of the sector.

You know the angle and the radius which is enough info to work out the area of the sector.

thanks so the sector area is
60/360 multiplied by 32
thats all i know

The triangle is equilateral, so all angles are going to be 60 degrees.
AQ and PQ are both going to be 3cm, as P and Q are midpoints.
The white area is going to be a sector of a circle - it will be a sixth of a circle.

-First you want to find the area of the whole triangle using the SINE rule. This is
Area = 0.5*a*b*sin(C), where a and b are sides, and C is the angle between them.
-Next you want to work out the area of the white/non-shaded area. To do this, work out what the area of a whole circle with radius 3cm would be, and use that to work out what the area of this sector is going to be, using the information I gave above.

Spoiler

Hope this helps

EDIT: Beaten to it by God-on-Earth himself.
(edited 6 years ago)
thanks so the sector area is
60/360 multiplied by 32

It would just be a 6th of π(3)2\pi (3)^2...
The triangle is equilateral, so all angles are going to be 60 degrees.
AQ and PQ are both going to be 3cm, as P and Q are midpoints.
The white area is going to be a sector of a circle - it will be a sixth of a circle.

-First you want to find the area of the whole triangle using the SINE rule. This is
Area = 0.5*a*b*sin(C), where a and b are sides, and C is the angle between them.
-Next you want to work out the area of the white/non-shaded area. To do this, work out what the area of a whole circle with radius 3cm would be, and use that to work out what the area of this sector is going to be, using the information I gave above.

Spoiler

Hope this helps

EDIT: Beaten to it by God-on-Earth himself.

thank you so much, so is the area of the whole triangle 9 root 3
and the sector area is 1.5 pie, but why do you divide by 6 and not any other number
so would it be 9root3- 1.5 pie?
and the sector area is 1.5 pie, but why do you divide by 6 and not any other number

There are 360 in a circle. You find the area of the whole circle radius 3 to be 9π9\pi

There are only 60 degrees of the full circle that we want here. So we need to find what fraction of 360 degrees 60 degrees is, we do 360/60=6

So the area of our 60 degree sector is a 6th of the full circle.
Original post by RDKGames
There are 360 in a circle. You find the area of the whole circle radius 3 to be 9π9\pi

There are only 60 degrees of the full circle that we want here. So we need to find what fraction of 360 degrees 60 degrees is, we do 360/60=6

So the area of our 60 degree sector is a 6th of the full circle.

thanks thats what i did initially to get 1.5 but i forgot the pie, thats why i got confused

Quick Reply

Latest