The Student Room Group

The younger generation of British Muslim are even more extreme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by devils18
Anti-muslims will find any excuse to point the finger at muslims. I think it's more to do with people's discriminatory attiudes towards ethinic minorities in the UK that has an effect on the youth today. Never will hear about the race of a white person when they commit a crime but anyone else gets targeted with same brush which is one of many examples of British discrimination. When you have the far right wing media like the daily mail it only alienates people and white British folks believe everything they read without looking at the real hard facts.

We live in a majority white country.. I generally assume every crime is most likely going to be committed by a white person unless specified otherwise.
Reply 61
Original post by Quava
Maybe, like someone else mentioned, your spoonful of soup contained a veggie you really despised?
There are 2,786,635 Muslims in the UK. Merely a thousand is not accurate representative. Different Muslims of different areas will think differently to Muslims in other areas.
And yet, if such a survey showed that 97% of Muslims condemn ISIS, 74% consider themselves British first, and 41% would rent their spare room to a homosexual, you would no doubt hold it up as evidence of the peaceful integration of Muslims in Britain.

Just because you don't understand survey samples and statistical analysis, doesn't mean it doesn't work. A bit like evolution.
Reply 62
Original post by QE2
And yet, if such a survey showed that 97% of Muslims condemn ISIS, 74% consider themselves British first, and 41% would rent their spare room to a homosexual, you would no doubt hold it up as evidence of the peaceful integration of Muslims in Britain.

Just because you don't understand survey samples and statistical analysis, doesn't mean it doesn't work. A bit like evolution.

I don't think you understand. Holding a survey in a highly populated Muslim are would be foolish. That small amount compares nothing to the 2 million Muslims. If they did a bigger survey, I would hold it up. Also the circumstances in which the Muslims answer. A lot of younger Muslims would say yes if they're with parents out of being scared.
I don't think you understand.
Original post by Reformed2010
Exactly. Even asking Muslims on the phone or online is hard because they might be in home with friends or family and will feel the pressure to comply with a very Conservative view, in fear of risking being seen or heard being pro-LGBT. To people it may sound dramatic and silly but it's a harsh reality when it comes to political views like LGBT rights even in the UK today. This is the same in other Religious households too, like Christianity. This is why it appears more Black people are less tolerant of LGBT rights in surveys, since they are disproportionately more religious (Christianity and Islam) than their White countrymen or woman.

Look beyond the headlines people.

dude i can't rep, so this is my rep
Original post by usualsuspects
This is racist.

How? It's a true fact that white British people who read the daily mail end up making rash judgements when it comes to ethnic minorities. Don't no why your denying that fact.
Reply 65
Original post by _gcx
Ah, the old "educate yourself". You should realise how patronising such a statement is (be careful, patronising is against the rules, though I am unable to disclose my opinion about that, god forbid.), regardless of whether you perceive yourself to be in the right or wrong. Keep that to yourself, we wish for this debate to remain civil rather than be derailed by such infantile statements.

You make it sound rather mystical, like some supernatural division between Muslims and the rest of the world.

A legitimate point. However, their views are supported by Islamic principles, so that argument rather falls flat.

Fear? I see fear resonating from this post, actually. I see not how the OP was being hateful, or ignorant for that matter. Users need not have an agenda, they are simply presenting a point of discussion, which is not necessarily in the form of a question.

The rest of that post seems to be personal attack, in all honesty.

Yes.fear how do you think a homosexual feels looking at misrepresentative data. To educate yourself would not be patronising but a request as I'm sure if I babbled about a topic without providing solid and reliable fact.

No in fact if you had read what I had posted properly I made the point that many even not muslims 'dislike the idea of homosexuality' this does not have to stem from a point of knowledge such as the holy Quran, bible ,Torah or any other holy scripture ,so in fact your refutation to my argument 'rather falls flat'

And as a request before engaging in a debate/argument ensure you have read and understood what is being said or it just results in spam. :smile:
Reply 66
How? It's a true fact that white British people who read the daily mail end up making rash judgements when it comes to ethnic minorities. Don't no why your denying that fact.

"Dailymail readers" is different from "white British people".

Your proof of this is??
Original post by AbbasTSR
Yes.fear how do you think a homosexual feels looking at misrepresentative data. To educate yourself would not be patronising but a request as I'm sure if I babbled about a topic without providing solid and reliable fact.

No in fact if you had read what I had posted properly I made the point that many even not muslims 'dislike the idea of homosexuality' this does not have to stem from a point of knowledge such as the holy Quran, bible ,Torah or any other holy scripture ,so in fact your refutation to my argument 'rather falls flat'

And as a request before engaging in a debate/argument ensure you have read and understood what is being said or it just results in spam. :smile:

Just because I didn't interpret your post in the way that you wanted me to; it doesn't mean that I have misinterpreted it. I interpreted your post just fine.

I don't think "fear" would be the right way to put it, provided that they are rational. They recognise that many individuals disapprove of their life choices, and provided that those individuals pose no significant threat to them, I don't think they are particularly bothered. They are very much aware that their rights are here to stay. A bill to negate all "LGBT" rights would not pass through the commons and therefore they are not threatened. Sure, they may be upset by the comments, but they are surely not "scared", personally.

No; in fact, if you read what I had posted properly you would have realised that I'm not saying that all homophobic views originate from religion. Homophobic views have basis in the Abrahamic faiths. Of course, societal circumstance influences it but it sounds like you were attempting to claim that Islam is homophobic in any sense of the word, which is flat-out incorrect.

Oh please. If you don't like what I say, don't say that I misinterpreted it because it just makes your argument look absurd.
Reply 69
Original post by snickersbar
Well, Islam teaches that you should not disrespect or mistreat anyone because of who they are or what they think. Just because you don't believe what they believe does not mean you can think that they should be in prison! I have nothing against people of other sexualities but personally i will always be straight, this does not mean i am homophobic or intolerent. Any muslim who hates people different to them is not following islam, this is exactly what gives rise to extremist ideologies. The prophet Muhammed (pbuh) always taught compassion and loved his enemies, ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE,BUT SOME MUSLIMS ARE NOT PEACEFUL!
Not sure what religion you've been taught about, but it isn't Islam!
I suggest you read the Quran and sunnah. They contain many passages that condone or encourage violence and intolerance against a wide range of people and beliefs.
Reply 70
Original post by AbbasTSR
just because they identify as muslim does not mean that those views originate from the religion
Every point in the OP is directly from the Quran or sunnah and while it is true that non-Muslims can be homophobic, religious bigots, it is dishonest to claim that such views amongst Muslims are not due to their religion.
Reply 71
targeted with the same brush
Love this! I shall be borrowing it, if you don't mind.
Reply 72
Original post by Quava
I don't think you understand. Holding a survey in a highly populated Muslim are would be foolish. That small amount compares nothing to the 2 million Muslims. If they did a bigger survey, I would hold it up. Also the circumstances in which the Muslims answer. A lot of younger Muslims would say yes if they're with parents out of being scared.
I don't think you understand.
I understand the argument perfectly well.
It is you who clearly does not understand the point I was making.
Reply 73
Original post by usualsuspects
"Dailymail readers" is different from "white British people".
That's the trouble with white British people - they always generalise.
Reply 74
Original post by QE2
I understand the argument perfectly well.
It is you who clearly does not understand the point I was making.

I didn't understand your argument. Not because I was being rude and didn't want to, I actually did not understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending