The Student Room Group

Muslim convert, how do I tell my family?

I think my parents will be fairly supportive, at least my mum. My parents are liberals. Mum is British, Dad is American, and we have lived overseas for most of my life. My dad lived in Pakistan when he was younger, and knows many Muslims. He is accepting of Islam, but he often criticizes the way it treats women and whatnot. My mum seems to be accepting of Islam. I have not been eating pork or gelatin for the past year, which my dad has been weird about, but has accepted it. Should I just tell them? My grandparents on both sides are Catholic and somewhat devout, so not sure how they would feel. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I think my parents will be fairly supportive, at least my mum. My parents are liberals. Mum is British, Dad is American, and we have lived overseas for most of my life. My dad lived in Pakistan when he was younger, and knows many Muslims. He is accepting of Islam, but he often criticizes the way it treats women and whatnot. My mum seems to be accepting of Islam. I have not been eating pork or gelatin for the past year, which my dad has been weird about, but has accepted it. Should I just tell them? My grandparents on both sides are Catholic and somewhat devout, so not sure how they would feel. Any advice?

first of all congratulations and welcome to islam !!!
Secondly , regarding your dad's criticism about the way islam treats women is false . Islam treats and teaches every individual to be treated equally and fairly. Men and women have different strengths and weaknesses hence why their roles differ , this is common sense.
If you are old enough ( 18 or above) you are an adult hence you can make your own decisions . You should tell them that you are a Muslim and they may not accept it at first , but they will eventually .
good luck !! and if u need anything please lmk :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending