The Student Room Group

Predicted Grade Boundaries for Maths GCSE 2017!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Btstrash
Our teacher told us that 132 was a 7

If it actuallly is true I would literally be the happiest soul ever
My predictions are:9 - 2108- 1607- 1306 - 1105 - 704 - 50I don't think the grade boundaries will be very high. Its the first year doing 9-1 and remember the exam boards want to make a profit especially Edexcel as its a for-profit company. If they put grade boundaries too high schools will move to iGCSE or move to another exam board. I think my predictions are pretty accurate. Also the Grade 9 boundary could be higher at 220 but everything else is about right. I also wouldn't use CGP grade boundaries as they are too high.
Reply 62
Now that the papers are designed to have 50% of their content at grades 7-9, rather than the old spec which had 25% of marks at grades A-A*, might it not be reasonable to suggest that the marks needed for grade 7 would be a little under 50%? Why? Well on the old spec the mark needed for grade A was about 70% (compared with the 75% of marks available for questions below grade A.) So working with this figure and assuming candidates this year will be similar to those in previous years, we should not expect to have to get any grade 7-9 marks to achieve grade 7. That means I'd start looking for the grade 7 boundary around 47%.
Original post by NigNog
That means I'd start looking for the grade 7 boundary around 47%.

in your dreams.

Spoiler

Reply 64
Original post by s4b3rt00th
in your dreams.

Spoiler

We will see in august, if it's wrong.
Original post by NigNog
We will see in august, if it's wrong.

use the unofficial mark scheme and mathsgenie (http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html) to figure out where the each grade starts at each paper.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by NigNog
Now that the papers are designed to have 50% of their content at grades 7-9, rather than the old spec which had 25% of marks at grades A-A*, might it not be reasonable to suggest that the marks needed for grade 7 would be a little under 50%? Why? Well on the old spec the mark needed for grade A was about 70% (compared with the 75% of marks available for questions below grade A.) So working with this figure and assuming candidates this year will be similar to those in previous years, we should not expect to have to get any grade 7-9 marks to achieve grade 7. That means I'd start looking for the grade 7 boundary around 47%.

This is what I personally think

9 = 85%
8 = 57%
7 = 47%
6 = 40%
5 = 33%
4= 20%

This is because there's a f ucking major gap between achievable students and people who struggle with Maths. So the grades for 8/9 are much more spread out
Reply 67
Original post by s4b3rt00th
use the unofficial mark scheme and mathsgenie (http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html) to figure out where the each grade starts at each paper.

What do you think grade boundaries are? btw i have used these boundaries from a teacher, who's gone of a basis off near enough all the schools in my county, mostly private schools with exception of a few grammar schools
Original post by NigNog
What do you think grade boundaries are? btw i have used these boundaries from a teacher, who's gone of a basis off near enough all the schools in my county, mostly private schools with exception of a few grammar schools

i'm aiming for a grade 7 so i'm only going to predict this one. grade 7, i believe, will be around 60-70%.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by B0redBrioche
I think it went really well!! I got 78-79/ 80 I think so I've got a chance for a 9 with about 212/240!! How about you?
PLease just shut up
Original post by B0redBrioche
Ah that should definitely be a 9 for you well done!! The lowest on Paper 1 I think i could get is 70, Paper 2- I failed and my mind went blank so around 62 lowest, and for Paper 3 78 lowest which totals up to 210. Hopefully enough :redface:
Lol watch you guys get level 2's on results days
Original post by sharokh123
i got 28/80 in my mock and got a 7 the boundries should be very low
you know those aren't the real grade boundaries right?
Original post by Shanicebob
We was told 54 should be a 4 overall then 72 a 5 and 108 6 120 a 7 etc Ive only got about 60 so worried I won't make the 4

No one knwos what the grade boundaries are, you can't predict them because it's all on a percentage scale so depending on how everyone else did shows how you did, not immediate number will show a grade,
Higher
The boundaries will have to be low in order to steadily increase them over the years. And seeing as half of the exams questions will be grades 7-9 they'll have to be low. Considering the fact that Ofqual are keeping the proportion of students passing the same as last year then they'll have to keep them lower. Also only 3% of the population so around (700,000) will obtain grade 9. 3% of 700,000 is 21,000. 21,000 will get grade 9 in Maths regardless of different exam boards.

Grade 4 = 85 marks
Grade 5 = 112 marks
Grade 6 = 135 marks
Grade 7 = 157 marks
Grade 8 = 176 marks
Grade 9 = 205 marks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gerib17
Higher
The boundaries will have to be low in order to steadily increase them over the years. And seeing as half of the exams questions will be grades 7-9 they'll have to be low. Considering the fact that Ofqual are keeping the proportion of students passing the same as last year then they'll have to keep them lower. Also only 3% of the population so around (700,000) will obtain grade 9. 3% of 700,000 is 21,000. 21,000 will get grade 9 in Maths regardless of different exam boards.

Grade 4 = 85 marks
Grade 5 = 112 marks
Grade 6 = 135 marks
Grade 7 = 157 marks
Grade 8 = 176 marks
Grade 9 = 205 marks

The information you gave contradicts your grade boundaries - 7 is (supposedly) too high, and should be lowered from 157 to somewhere like 125-130. Then, we can move the boundaries around a bit, e.g (THIS IS JUST A PREDICTION)

Grade 4 - 60
Grade 5 - 80
Grade 6 - 110
Grade 7 - 130
Grade 8 - 160
Grade 9 - 190 - 195 - 200 (really don't see it going above 200, max at 204)
Original post by Gabzinc
The information you gave contradicts your grade boundaries - 7 is (supposedly) too high, and should be lowered from 157 to somewhere like 125-130. Then, we can move the boundaries around a bit, e.g (THIS IS JUST A PREDICTION)

Grade 4 - 60
Grade 5 - 80
Grade 6 - 110
Grade 7 - 130
Grade 8 - 160

I see what you're saying but there is the odd few who will get in the 200s and they will therefore make up the x% of those who will get grade 9 which has been stated to be 3% of students which will do so.
190/240 for a 9 is a joke.
Original post by Gabzinc

Grade 4 - 60
Grade 5 - 80
Grade 6 - 110
Grade 7 - 130
Grade 8 - 160

Increase each of those grades by 5-10 and that's the most realistic you'll get.
I have heard arguments that exams boards want to make a profit so will make grade boundaries lower and that exam boards will want to increase grade boundaries in future so they will make grade boundaries lower. I'd just like to clarify that both of these arguments are wrong. Grade boundaries will be based solely off statistics.

The top 3% will be awarded a grade 9. The percentage who used to get an A will then be awarded a grade 7 (About 20%). They will then take these two grade boundaries, find the midpoint and that will be the grade boundary for a grade 8. The percentage who get a C will then be awarded a grade 4 (About 70%).
Original post by JammieDodger27
The top 3% will be awarded a grade 9. The percentage who used to get an A will then be awarded a grade 7 (About 20%). They will then take these two grade boundaries, find the midpoint and that will be the grade boundary for a grade 8. The percentage who get a C will then be awarded a grade 4 (About 70%).

But - what really counts as "top 3%"? Will it be 3% on the dot, or will it fluctuate between 2.5% - <3.5%? (as they both round to 3%)

I guess in that case I understand what people are saying about being the first year/hardest exams so there may be some artificial manipulation of the boundaries.(eugh, pains me to say that)

Personally, however, I do not support this theory, and I'm just playing devil's advocate to see a counterargument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending