The Student Room Group

APS Restriction After FY2

So I'm coming towards the end of FY2, ARCP done and all fine etc.

What I'm wondering is how things work with respect to APS restrictions. I understand that it's supposed to apply until the first revalidation, but a lot of my colleagues seem to be under the impression that the FY2 ARCP counts as a revalidation and therefore the restriction will be lifted in August. However, I haven't actually seen any clear documentation from the GMC specifically relating to this - it just says it applies until the first revalidation. Does anyone know for certain what the deal is specifically for FY2s?
As I'm sure you're aware you have to specifically apply to the GMC to have the APS restriction lifted - it doesn't disappear automatically and I've known people to be caught out with this - trying to locum post F2 without having the restriction lifted and therefore practicing illegally.

Although ARCPs are used to provide evidence for revalidation, they are not the same and your colleagues are incorrect. About 18 months before you are due to revalidate (date can be found on GMC online) you will receive a letter from the GMC asking you to confirm who your responsible officer is. Once the date of revalidation approaches the responsible officer will then check your ARCP records and recommend revalidation through a specific online form that they have to fill out. You receive a letter once this form has been completed.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/help/list_of_designated_bodies.htm check this for your designated body and log into GMC online and make sure the information there is correct. You can then contact the designated body (and head of foundation school who will be your responsible officer) and ask them about the process for removing APS.
I'm a bit confused with this too. So if you are working in LAS posts should you apply for the APS restriction to be lifted? Or should you ask to be registered with the designated body within the NHS trust you are doing the locum work?
Original post by TheRabbit
I'm a bit confused with this too. So if you are working in LAS posts should you apply for the APS restriction to be lifted? Or should you ask to be registered with the designated body within the NHS trust you are doing the locum work?

I think it might depend on whether the LAS post was obtained through national recruitment or not. If it was then your designated body would be HEE (formerly the deanery.) If it wasn't through national recruitment then the designated body would be the trust.
Original post by Spencer Wells
I think it might depend on whether the LAS post was obtained through national recruitment or not. If it was then your designated body would be HEE (formerly the deanery.) If it wasn't through national recruitment then the designated body would be the trust.

Great thanks, I think it will be the trust (if I get the job!)

Otherwise locum agency here I come, and they can be my designated body

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending