The Student Room Group

What software do you use for taking extensive notes?

Have you found a software that works for you? I use Onenote and other software, but the downside is that Onenote makes it difficult to find your notes; as Onenote has very limited search capabilities. There are also numerous downsides.

IMO I don't think Onenote is designed very well, and I find paper very limiting.

If you take extensive notes: what works for you? What software do you use? How do you sort out your notes?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by makealldigital
have you found some solution that works for you yet?
i use onenote, and other software
one problem is finding what you're looking for,
not able to able to find specific things within extensive extensive notes is a common problem
and where your notes are
onenote has very limited search as you know
many other problems, won't go into it...
if you take extensive notes, what solutions works for you?
--
the key problem is that the software isn't designed well
paper is highly limiting, and software solves a bunch of those ills
but the software has lots of constraints and limits as have been said on the Web
it would be good if ppl in the world could make something actually innovative though
i know it's a similar problem with todos.
--
[ this is for you if you take extensive notes ] -- any good solutions on finding/structuring/sorting notes?

Hi there,

I have edited the thread title to make it more legible. I'm sure you'll get more responses now. :h:
coool thanks u rock, but doesnt seem like it made any difference, so lemem rephrase in case it would help:

---

is anyone here that's REALLY good at labelling/naming/classifying specific notes/documents in a memorable & effective way?

i need someone with impeccable structuring skills

for w/e note/doc program you use,

if you found/created an effective way to search the software and locate/find MASSIVE amounts of notes ACROSS ALL TOPICS IN ACADEMIA AND LIFE to instantly find exactly what you need,

then you've solved a common problem many ppl have -- that nobody has solved yet

---

and should be president of the next newest & upcoming leading university in the entire universe
I like Evernote, their tagging system is pretty strong...
that doesn't answer the question

how can a computer system be 'strong'...
that doesn't answer the question

how can a computer system be 'strong'...

You can ask for further clarification without being rude. Or just google it...

Strong = effective.

It's easy to use, flexible and helpful. Obviously there's a search function. You can tag multiple items at once, so if you want to assign them to a new module or something you can. It just does everything you'd expect from tags. For some reason onenote doesn't have this, or I've been missing something.

Past tags I don't know what you've use to index notes; it's all I've ever used
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Ms Paint.
It's very strong.
Reply 7
I love OneNote I use it on my Surface and it is set up so when i press the button on the Surface Pen it opens instantly
Reply 8
I'm not too much of a fan of digital notes; much better to write it by hand.

If it needs to be done digitally I either use org-mode or Cherrytree.
"much better to write it by hand"

* why?

there's an insane amount of limitations in paper far more digital
"without being rude"

* what did i say that was 'rude'

* what should i say instead?
hello??
hello??

Hi there!

Just a heads up, we won't receive a notification of your reply if you don't quote us or tag us.
Reply 13
Me and my group are using SquidHub .It is a new thing and super simple to use. And we create a groups of every exam we have so we can discuss and share files. They stay there, so every time I want to go back to see what articles and so on we used on certain exam I have them there, so I don't have to look into my hard drive no more :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending