The Student Room Group

Will going to a British(London) university give me the "queen's accent"?

I'm going to UCL next year, I'm curious as to whether studying there will naturally give me the queen's accent. Or is the time too short?

I'm not a native English speaker but can speak it fluently.
Reply 1
lol no
No
lol what even is this question
Original post by Thomazo
I'm going to UCL next year, I'm curious as to whether studying there will naturally give me the queen's accent. Or is the time too short?

Where are you from originally. You can learn if you try hard.
I've seen people change their accents but you'll have to work hard and be consious of it every time you speak in ordero to keep it going, before it comes natural. I don't think it's worth choosing a uni over what accent you might pick up though...

And in uni, there will be people from all parts of the UK with various accents, so you may not even hear anyone with an accent like the queen there anyway, so without hearing it, you won't be able to pick it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
No, that's not how it works.
Reply 6
I recommend Bristol Uni, it's not quite "The Queens English", but you can say words like "Yarp" without people looking at you funny.
It's mainly who you hang around with, it doesn't really matter what university you go to.

But like others have said, if you want to get a new accent, you have to be conscious of the way you're speaking so you can correct words before you say them.

I had a really strong Birmingham accent before I went to university, and hanging around with people from the South of England made me pronounce things more clearly, and made certain vocabulary more socially acceptable, which is different to Birmingham where you'd get looked at funny or something. Now I still have a brummy accent when I say certain words, but it's a more neutral accent that doesn't completely give away where I'm from like before.
(edited 6 years ago)
It will give you the roadman accent.
Reply 9
Original post by Thomazo

No :rofl: Your accent will change a bit, but not that much :h:

Source: Romanian who lived in the UK for two years. I still sound so Romanian even British people have a hard time understanding me sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest