The Student Room Group

Anyone else dislike CGP books?

I've heard loads of good things about CGP revision guides/question books, but I'm finding I don't really like them all that much. They're too colloquial and the questions are very rarely how they actually look in the exam. By colloquial, I mean if, for example, I wanted to know what a cell wall is it would probably give me some random metaphor and make a *****y joke (haha, relates with kids right??).

OK that sounded a bit pathetic, but they're still pretty bad books.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

The jokes they'd put at the bottom each page made me want to rip the book in half and throw it into a pit of burning faecal matter while I pour the blood of the people who wrote the books on top of the fire as a fuel
Reply 2
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
The jokes they'd put at the bottom each page made me want to rip the book in half and throw it into a pit of burning faecal matter while I pour the blood of the people who wrote the books on top of the fire as a fuel

haha, yeah!....
Reply 3

Exactly, they're so stupid and some of them don't even make any sense.
Original post by S2M
Exactly, they're so stupid and some of them don't even make any sense.

They had a whole page in my GCSE Biology one just on how to make a cup of tea. It's just.... not funny in the slightest, CJP.
Reply 5
They had a whole page in my GCSE Biology one just on how to make a cup of tea. It's just.... not funny in the slightest, CJP.

Oh yes, I remember that! I was befuddled on how idiotic these jokes can get.
Reply 6
And the actual wording of questions are so poor and unlike anything you'll ever come across in a real ****ing exam...
I just hate the font and the colours, it seems like every second word is bolded and underlined ughghghgh
Reply 8
I, for one, would like a ""boring"" textbook that just get's **** right, ya know?
Reply 9
Original post by 0zzu
I've heard loads of good things about CGP revision guides/question books, but I'm finding I don't really like them all that much. They're too colloquial and the questions are very rarely how they actually look in the exam. By colloquial, I mean if, for example, I wanted to know what a cell wall is it would probably give me some random metaphor and make a *****y joke (haha, relates with kids right??).

OK that sounded a bit pathetic, but they're still pretty bad books.

Thoughts?

I love CGP but sometimes I need more detail :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Looool, I am using CGP revision guides/ used them for my A-Level exams. I do AQA physics and I need higher then a C (I need an A or an A*) so we shall have to test you're statement on results day.
Reply 11
I completepy disagree, I used CGP for alp my GCSE sciences, I got A*A*A
I used CGP for all my AS-Levels and got AAAA.
I disagree with people who make statements like you cant get above (C or D ect)
You can infact get high grades solely using CGP for the knowledge then practice papers.
I find them extremely useful, they condense information making it easy to understand and include all relevant information to the specification.
Okay...
number uno, the book is legit 80% jokes and not just any jokes... CRAPPY JOKES! i know and i get it they're trying to make revision less boring but having fun won't get me a good grade. and they're meant to be the best revision books and most reliable
The jokes are funny bit they ****ing blow. I found my GCSE Collins science revision guides instrumental to me getting straight a*s in science at GCSE. Each of the 3 books is a fairly meaty tome not your thin cgp affair. They have **** loads of questions in them too. However for alevel I didn't find revision guides very helpful. Tend to not be in sufficient detail. Whenever I had a question I would check the textbook or ask teacher to explain something or just learn what the marks chem says which is what I kinda did for some physics questions...
Yes the jokes are crap, the questions aren't anything like you get in the real exam and they don't go into great detail but tbh I still found them quite useful! Especially for physics which I absolutely loathed, CGP just made it so much easier to understand than my teachers. Obvs if you're aiming for an A* then you can't solely rely on them, but imo they do provide a good basis of the content you need to know
Original post by S2M
Oh yes, I remember that! I was befuddled on how idiotic these jokes can get.

I remember the first time I read their books thinking, mm nice toilet paper. :teehee:
Reply 16
A level bio and them "student guides" are 300 pages for AS and 300 pages for A2. Theyre like the ultimate CGP guides trust me they have all the detail unlike the rubbish revision guides but none of the irrelevant waffle a textbook has
Reply 17
Original post by Reserved For
I remember the first time I read their books thinking, mm nice toilet paper. :teehee:

:laugh:
CGP books are nice to read and explains things well. They're are really good to get me into the revision mood, more than books that are full of tedious waffle and technical jarjon. But you shouldn't only use them and nothing else. I think they're really good for Languages and you can get CGP books with language vocab booklet and app to help you master it.

Other revision help are YouTube videos, a book specific for the subject and exam (EdExcel, AQA etc) that you're taking so you can practise answering the type of questions that will turn up in the exam. CGP won't cover that. The book should have fully worked answers in the back pages, not just the answer, if you're doing Maths. If you get the same answer in the book, it doesn't mean your working out is correct.

Avoid the Collins GCSE books (particularly their Maths books) because the answers are online instead of in the back of the book. If I go online during revision, bang goes my revision!
Yeah I thought they were ****

Latest