The Student Room Group

Am I wrong to be smug?

I've discovered my gf has been lying to me, she doesn't know I know yet and I'm gonna drop it on her tonight whilst she's out, I really like her and wish this wasn't happening, but because it has, I feel really smug about it and I'm kind of looking forward to the coming argument to see how she tries to justify herself. Ideally we won't breakup, but it's likely that we will and yet I'm still smug about it knowing she isn't pulling the wool over my eyes any more. Is that messed up?

Scroll to see replies

No.. not really she betrayed you and I guess you are just happy you know now.
If you don't mind me asking, what did she do? Because usually the person would be sad not smug
Reply 2
Original post by pfdavina
No.. not really she betrayed you and I guess you are just happy you know now.
If you don't mind me asking, what did she do? Because usually the person would be sad not smug

Told me she was seeing her sister when she actually went for a meal with a lad, so I can't wait to hear her reasons for lying and seeing him.
Original post by Anonymous
Told me she was seeing her sister when she actually went for a meal with a lad, so I can't wait to hear her reasons for lying and seeing him.

Oh okay. I think you are just happy to have a bit of power. Listen to her explanation - don't be too quick to attack.. :smile: good luck with it all x
Reply 4
I'm ugly.
Reply 5
Original post by pfdavina
Oh okay. I think you are just happy to have a bit of power. Listen to her explanation - don't be too quick to attack.. :smile: good luck with it all x

I mean of course I'm anxious too because I don't want to break up with her, but unless she has a very good reason then that's what will happen. Thank you, I'm sure I'll post an update in here tomorrow or maybe even tonight ha.
I think it is an indicator that you are not bothered about the relationship. Catching people out can be fun but it is not fun if it means you lose someone you cared about.
Reply 7
Original post by Sternumator
I think it is an indicator that you are not bothered about the relationship. Catching people out can be fun but it is not fun if it means you lose someone you cared about.

I've had suspicions for a while now and rightly or wrongly I asked her about this and she denied it, so to finally have some form of proof to confront her with has made me happy. I'm extremely bothered by this relationship, I was fully prepared to have my future with this girl and go the distance.
personally I wouldn't be smug i'd probably be confrontational and angry. Going out with another lad and lying about it would p*** me off soo much lol but I know exactly what you mean by being smug about it all it's just I'd be too frustrated to react like that. Anyway, good luck bro I actually feel for you if she has no explanation for it:frown:
Reply 9
Original post by hamzakalinle
personally I wouldn't be smug i'd probably be confrontational and angry. Going out with another lad and lying about it would p*** me off soo much lol but I know exactly what you mean by being smug about it all it's just I'd be too frustrated to react like that. Anyway, good luck bro I actually feel for you if she has no explanation for it:frown:

Oh Yeah, I'm pretty angry too, but I know that I need to restrain that ha. There's a possibility that she has a legitimate reason for meeting this bloke and I don't wanna blow my top until I'm sure it's required. I like the girl a lot and I'll give her the opportunity to explain herself at least
I've discovered my gf has been lying to me, she doesn't know I know yet and I'm gonna drop it on her tonight whilst she's out, I really like her and wish this wasn't happening, but because it has, I feel really smug about it and I'm kind of looking forward to the coming argument to see how she tries to justify herself. Ideally we won't breakup, but it's likely that we will and yet I'm still smug about it knowing she isn't pulling the wool over my eyes any more. Is that messed up?

Just to cover all sides here, do you know this guy?Is she friends with him (that youre aware of)

Even if both are true, not sure why she'd lie though.
I've had suspicions for a while now and rightly or wrongly I asked her about this and she denied it, so to finally have some form of proof to confront her with has made me happy. I'm extremely bothered by this relationship, I was fully prepared to have my future with this girl and go the distance.

Maybe it is a defensive mechanism to reduce the pain. I'm you don't really think it is something to be smug about but you take pleasure in it to help you deal with it.

Even if the guy was only her "Friend" she still lied to you and betrayed you. Good on you for finding out and no its not wrong at this point!
Original post by Jack22031994
Just to cover all sides here, do you know this guy?Is she friends with him (that youre aware of)

Even if both are true, not sure why she'd lie though.

I think she's had relations with him in the past so it's all the more worrying
I think she's had relations with him in the past so it's all the more worrying

Okay. Just wanted to clear that up, as he could be just a friend etc but I get you now!
Okay. Just wanted to clear that up, as he could be just a friend etc but I get you now!

Yeah that's fine, I'm anxious about it but i need to confront her
Yeah that's fine, I'm anxious about it but i need to confront her

If makes you feel uncomfortable you should. Maybe ask if you can meet him?

I'm coming from the POV of my best friend being a girl.

Even then, why the lying and covering up?

When I am in any serious relationship with someone, I would expect them to be totally upfront and transparent about what they are doing, same applies for me. If the girl lies about such trivial things, how would you expect her to be honest about more difficult issues that are surely likely to pop up further down the line. If I was the OP, I would have serious alarm bells ringing.
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
Even then, why the lying and covering up?

When I am in any serious relationship with someone, I would expect them to be totally upfront and transparent about what they are doing, same applies for me. If the girl lies about such trivial things, how would you expect her to be honest about more difficult issues that are surely likely to pop up further down the line. If I was the OP, I would have serious alarm bells ringing.

Yeah, you're right, i did say, I'm not sure why'd she be lying!
I've been in relationships before where the girl tries to justify the reason for lying, then the same crap tends to happen again and again down the line with more justifications. In the process, suspicions build up and it's just a really horrible negative cycle that further compounds.

I hope the OP can remain very objective and detach his emotions when making the final decision about the relationship. Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending