The Student Room Group

Dad doesn't love me

Prefacing this by saying my dad and I have a very strained relationship. i don't like how he treats my mother or me, and his attitude when talking to us (he talks to us like we're just stupid girls who don't know anything). he doesn't spend any time with my mum, she always cries about how he seems to like his video games more than her when we're alone.

Yesterday we had a massive argument, tldr I asked for help with something and he was being pushy, then started snapping at me, to which I told him to get out of my room if he wasn't going to help with what i needed help with. 10 minutes later i asked for help again since I was calmed down a bit and he said no because i "treated him like an ********". I was trying to reason for him to help me and he just kept repeating that with a smug face on knowing I couldn't finish what I was doing without the help.
I was just about hysteric after a minute of this and started screaming at the top of my lungs about how he was being an ******** and all the ****y things he's done to me, and that good parents don't treat their kids the way he does. I brought up the times that he told me he didn't love me (he has twice said "this is why i dont love you and no-one else will" about very minor things) and he went quiet. he did some other stuff and finally i packed up some things and ran away for the day. i was gone 10 hours, he didn't even ask where i was going or call me at any point.

Last time we argued like this was when he found out I was gay, he didn't talk to me for a month. And even then I was the one who had to start talking to him again first.

I hate living like this. i don't know what to do and i feel bad for my mum who's caught up in the middle. does anyone else have a parent like this who can relate, or does anyone have any advice?
Hello, im really sorry to hear this has happened to you, i cant imagine how you must feel right now
If you feel that the problems with your dad have been ongoing and have been causing you significant trouble for a while now, maybe you should seek some support? You could go to your GP and ask for advice; you may benefit from a form of talking therapy such as counselling. Alternatively, if youre over 18 you can self refer to different services (found on the NHS website) or if youre under 18, there are various charities that can offer you forms of support, so maybe its worth googling support in your area. There is help available for you, and this really seems like something you need to talk to someone about to help you to get the relevant support
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hello, im really sorry to hear this has happened to you, i cant imagine how you must feel right now
If you feel that the problems with your dad have been ongoing and have been causing you significant trouble for a while now, maybe you should seek some support? You could go to your GP and ask for advice; you may benefit from a form of talking therapy such as counselling. Alternatively, if youre over 18 you can self refer to different services (found on the NHS website) or if youre under 18, there are various charities that can offer you forms of support, so maybe its worth googling support in your area. There is help available for you, and this really seems like something you need to talk to someone about to help you to get the relevant support

it has been happening for years to clarify, i'm just finally fed up.
ill have a look. but tbh i don't see what talking to some stranger with an expensive certificate would achieve in this situation.
Reply 3
she's blind to all of it, she sympathizes with me when i tell her about what he's doing but i don't think she ever really listens or believes me. i dont like how he treats her but she never does anything about it and i doubt she ever will.
Original post by Anonymous
it has been happening for years to clarify, i'm just finally fed up.
ill have a look. but tbh i don't see what talking to some stranger with an expensive certificate would achieve in this situation.

I completely understand why you would feel that way about talking therapies, and they arent for everyone. Perhaps it might be beneficial for you to do some research about counselling and something called cognitive behavioural therapy.
It may help you to work through the emotions you have felt and are feeling as a consequence of whats been happening to you. It does seem odd that talking to a complete stranger may actually help, but you would be surprised about what they say; having an unbiased view about whats happening to you may help you to process it and understand it better
Reply 5
Original post by Squiggles1238
I completely understand why you would feel that way about talking therapies, and they arent for everyone. Perhaps it might be beneficial for you to do some research about counselling and something called cognitive behavioural therapy.
It may help you to work through the emotions you have felt and are feeling as a consequence of whats been happening to you. It does seem odd that talking to a complete stranger may actually help, but you would be surprised about what they say; having an unbiased view about whats happening to you may help you to process it and understand it better

I've been to therapy before and it wasn't my cup of tea but perhaps its something to try again. but, isn't cognitive behavioural therapy for people with mental health disorders? i'm just thinking that its less so about my basic mental health, nothing is wrong with my brain, and more so about the crummy situation i'm in right now. i think feeling horrible and worthless when your parent hates you is a normal reaction so i'm just not sure what they could do for me. I'm also 14 so my dad would end up finding out where and probably why I'm going which again i imagine would only make things worse.
It is something to think about though, i don't think any option is 100% ideal, so thank you :redface:
I've been to therapy before and it wasn't my cup of tea but perhaps its something to try again. but, isn't cognitive behavioural therapy for people with mental health disorders? i'm just thinking that its less so about my basic mental health, nothing is wrong with my brain, and more so about the crummy situation i'm in right now. i think feeling horrible and worthless when your parent hates you is a normal reaction so i'm just not sure what they could do for me. I'm also 14 so my dad would end up finding out where and probably why I'm going which again i imagine would only make things worse.
It is something to think about though, i don't think any option is 100% ideal, so thank you :redface:

Yes youre right, CBT is more about your cognition (hence *cognitive* behavioural therapy), i only mention it as you mentioned feelings of being fed up, worthlessness etc, and i didnt know if perhaps your thought processes may be causing some of your feelings. But yes that is why i said about counselling, as it is more broad, and allows you to work through your feelings.
I believe something should be done though as i cant imagine how you must feel right now. You deserve to live in a safe, supportive environment where you feel calm and relaxed.
Another option may be your school counsellor? You could talk to your school and see if you could see the counsellor without your parents knowing? Im not sure on the rules surrounding safeguarding at secondary school, do im not sure if you could do it without them knowing, but its always worth a chat with your school to see how they can help
Prefacing this by saying my dad and I have a very strained relationship. i don't like how he treats my mother or me, and his attitude when talking to us (he talks to us like we're just stupid girls who don't know anything). he doesn't spend any time with my mum, she always cries about how he seems to like his video games more than her when we're alone.

Yesterday we had a massive argument, tldr I asked for help with something and he was being pushy, then started snapping at me, to which I told him to get out of my room if he wasn't going to help with what i needed help with. 10 minutes later i asked for help again since I was calmed down a bit and he said no because i "treated him like an ********". I was trying to reason for him to help me and he just kept repeating that with a smug face on knowing I couldn't finish what I was doing without the help.
I was just about hysteric after a minute of this and started screaming at the top of my lungs about how he was being an ******** and all the ****y things he's done to me, and that good parents don't treat their kids the way he does. I brought up the times that he told me he didn't love me (he has twice said "this is why i dont love you and no-one else will" about very minor things) and he went quiet. he did some other stuff and finally i packed up some things and ran away for the day. i was gone 10 hours, he didn't even ask where i was going or call me at any point.

Last time we argued like this was when he found out I was gay, he didn't talk to me for a month. And even then I was the one who had to start talking to him again first.

I hate living like this. i don't know what to do and i feel bad for my mum who's caught up in the middle. does anyone else have a parent like this who can relate, or does anyone have any advice?

Heyy, I'm really sorry that you have to go through that situation. I couldn't imagine how I would survive during this and honestly your really persevering and really handling it better than I would ever do. You deserve the whole world and I'm sorry your going through this- don't let your father downgrade you and blind yourself from your self-worth, you are worth everything and I hope the situation gets better and you find the light through this darkness. Sorry I am not much of a help but I just want to say keep persevering and you'll get through this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending