The Student Room Group

Differvent exam boards for A level!

So basically I just found out what exam boards my new Sixth form will offer . All different from my gcse .
For maths , I've done edexcel Maths as a gcse but my sixth form offers AQA . Am I in a disadvantage ?
Along with chemistry which is OCR . An exam board which I'm so unfamiliar with.
My question is .. should I even bother going to that Sixth form which has different exam boards? Are they difficult exam boards ? Am I in a disadvantage from transitioning to different exam boards
Reply 1
Original post by ParisOMg
So basically I just found out what exam boards my new Sixth form will offer . All different from my gcse .
For maths , I've done edexcel Maths as a gcse but my sixth form offers AQA . Am I in a disadvantage ?
My question is .. should I even bother going to that Sixth form which has different exam boards? Are they difficult exam boards ? Am I in a disadvantage from transitioning to different exam boards

Your exam board does not matter because you will get taught everything you need for the A-level over the course of the two years you will spend in sixth form. I did a different exam board for GCSE and AS English Literature and the relevance of the exam board was exactly zero.

So no, you will not be at a disadvantage.

I think I heard OCR is the hardest, though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2

Absolutely not. It doesn't make a difference.

I did AQA science at GCSE but did OCR biology and chemistry. Everything you need to know you'll be taught. Any assumed knowledge is literally the basics that I think Ofqual highlights must be in every exam board anyway. Hence any assumed knowledge you should know, regardless of exam board at GCSE
Original post by Michiyo
Your exam board does not matter because you will get taught everything you need for the A-level over the course of the two years you will spend in sixth form. I did a different exam board for GCSE and AS English Literature and the relevance of the exam board was exactly zero.

So no, you will not be at a disadvantage.

I think I heard OCR is the hardest, though.

Okay that makes me feel so much relieved
Original post by SGHD26716
Absolutely not. It doesn't make a difference.

I did AQA science at GCSE but did OCR biology and chemistry. Everything you need to know you'll be taught. Any assumed knowledge is literally the basics that I think Ofqual highlights must be in every exam board anyway. Hence any assumed knowledge you should know, regardless of exam board at GCSE

Thank you 😊
Reply 5
Okay that makes me feel so much relieved

I am glad :hugs: Do not worry, OP. There is not going to be any kind of divide between people who did that exam board at GCSE and those who did not or anything like that. Literally no one cares; some people do not even know what exam boards their qualifications are from :lol:

I wish you the best :cube:

Quick Reply

Latest