The Student Room Group

religious studies a level

hi, wondering whether to pick A level religious studies ? My exam board is EDUQAS (study judaism, ethics and philosophy)
I asked my teacher and she said she studied the exact same course at a level and really enjoyed it.
I currently do Buddhism , Christianity and Ethics at AQA GCSE and find it so easy and interesting , wondering if this ease continues to a level , especially with the change of exam board
If anyone has done this exam board (as it seems like i cannot find anyone who has done this exact course at a level with the same exam board😭) then please let me know if it is a good option !
Reply 1
Original post by user839292
hi, wondering whether to pick A level religious studies ? My exam board is EDUQAS (study judaism, ethics and philosophy)
I asked my teacher and she said she studied the exact same course at a level and really enjoyed it.
I currently do Buddhism , Christianity and Ethics at AQA GCSE and find it so easy and interesting , wondering if this ease continues to a level , especially with the change of exam board
If anyone has done this exam board (as it seems like i cannot find anyone who has done this exact course at a level with the same exam board😭) then please let me know if it is a good option !

Hi, I did that exact same A Level! (Judaism, Philosophy and Ethics with eduqas). I was the same at GCSE (although I did eduqas then too), I enjoyed it and found it relatively easy compared to my other subjects. So, on to the A level. I enjoyed the lessons and the content, but as much as I really want to recommend it to you, sadly I can't say I enjoyed it overall because of the stress. There is a crazy amount of content and while you were technically doing critical writing and forming arguments, it still felt to me like I was learning a bunch of information only to regurgitate it in an exam. You had to learn everything in such detail so that you could write a full essay on a very specific topic when asked to. And since that exam board is the only one not to have any coursework, how you do on those specific topics is 100% of your grade.

Now maybe that view is because all I had to compare it to were my other A Levels (Art and English Literature), which were both very different. Art was, well art, and English was very skill based rather than content based. So yeah, I did truly find the content really interesting, but that was my experience and to be honest if I were choosing again, I would choose another subject. Talking to the rest of my class, it seemed like they felt the same way as me.

If you do choose it though, it does have a lot to offer and I would love to help you out where you wanted it :-)
Reply 2
Original post by Pablopip

Hi, I did that exact same A Level! (Judaism, Philosophy and Ethics with eduqas). I was the same at GCSE (although I did eduqas then too), I enjoyed it and found it relatively easy compared to my other subjects. So, on to the A level. I enjoyed the lessons and the content, but as much as I really want to recommend it to you, sadly I can't say I enjoyed it overall because of the stress. There is a crazy amount of content and while you were technically doing critical writing and forming arguments, it still felt to me like I was learning a bunch of information only to regurgitate it in an exam. You had to learn everything in such detail so that you could write a full essay on a very specific topic when asked to. And since that exam board is the only one not to have any coursework, how you do on those specific topics is 100% of your grade.

Now maybe that view is because all I had to compare it to were my other A Levels (Art and English Literature), which were both very different. Art was, well art, and English was very skill based rather than content based. So yeah, I did truly find the content really interesting, but that was my experience and to be honest if I were choosing again, I would choose another subject. Talking to the rest of my class, it seemed like they felt the same way as me.

If you do choose it though, it does have a lot to offer and I would love to help you out where you wanted it :-)

thanks so muchh this was so helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending