The Student Room Group

Richard Dawkins event cancelled over his 'abusive speech against Islam'

Scroll to see replies

More evidence that the religion of Islam is somehow above criticism.. sad.
It would be nice if they released the script that Dawkins was going to use.
Is Dawkins still going?
Reply 5
Thought he was dead

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the most important quote in that article is this;

KPFA said it had been contacted by activists

Sums up what really happened.
Original post by Cubone-r
More evidence that the religion of Islam is somehow above criticism.. sad.

And this is exactly the sort of thing that contributes to what certain people wrongly label "Islamophobia". Hatred against Muslims is always going to exist as long as Islam is seen as being above criticism and satire. It's a shame the people who scream "Islamophobia" at anything critical of Islam haven't realised that yet.
A radio station in Berkeley is at the cutting edge of " progressive" thinking. What they do today, the BBC, CNN, will be doing tomorrow.

It is already very hard to criticise Islam. No one dares to republish or broadcast the cartoons of Mohammed published in Denmark or those of Charlie Hebdo.

Soon it will be impossible. Goodbye free speech, nice to have spent some time with you for an all too short few years.
Smh
Dawkins is critical of all religion. If anything he's most critical of Christianity. Why is he being banned over criticism of Islam?
I mean I know people don't like having their beliefs questioned but when he does this for all religion you can hardly say he's specifically targeting Islam/Muslims.
Original post by StrawbAri

Dawkins is critical of all religion. If anything he's most critical of Christianity. Why is he being banned over criticism of Islam?
I mean I know people don't like having their beliefs questioned but when he does this for all religion you can hardly say he's specifically targeting Islam/Muslims.

Like conspiracy theories? It's the American Christians barring him under a false pretence, whatever 'hurtful' remarks or tweets he may be accused of is equally spread between the faiths, as you point out.
lol at KPFA's hypocrisy... the Dork was welcomed by them in previous years despite his vile attacks on Christianity.
Original post by StrawbAri
Smh

Have you seen his twitter account?
Original post by SMEGGGY
Thought he was dead

Posted from TSR Mobile

He had a stroke or something I think? He probably only has 5 years left anyway.
"Abusive speech against Islam" doesn't exist. :lol: Abusive speech against Muslims does, but you can't be abusive to a belief system. It doesn't have feelings or rights.
Is he still relevant?

After the whole "WE'RE ALL AFRICANS I DON'T SEE COLOUR" debacle, is anything he says really surprising? He says and does stuff to provoke reaction and hence publicity. He's the typical breed of educated upper middle class white heterosexual "atheist" bigot who thinks that his viewpoint is inherently fundamental.

Regardless of your views on religion generally, or his scientific achievements, he's a *****y person who shouldn't be given a larger platform because of it.
Reply 16
Original post by orderofthelotus
"Abusive speech against Islam" doesn't exist. :lol: Abusive speech against Muslims does, but you can't be abusive to a belief system. It doesn't have feelings or rights.

terrible argument

obviously they are against individual Muslims if they are against Islam.

You can't have it both ways

If you are against the Nazi belief system, you also oppose the individuals who believe in it
Original post by r3035
terrible argument

If you are against the Nazi belief system, you also oppose the individuals who believe in it

No, there is a distinction and the fact you gloss over it, is a major reason why Islam is such a problem.
Original post by the bear
lol at KPFA's hypocrisy... the Dork was welcomed by them in previous years despite his vile attacks on Christianity.

His points are not vile - they are reasoned and backed-up with evidence.

Original post by EternalLight
He had a stroke or something I think? He probably only has 5 years left anyway.

Hopefully more. He is a great mind.
Original post by r3035
terrible argument

So anyone that says they hate the killing of gays in Islam hates all Muslims?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending