The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Phoenix_down
Apparently the protester was a former priest?? :confused:
A news report I just read says he had been in a tavern earlier and was drunk when the incident happened.

Does that really surprise you?
Lord Huntroyde
Well the orignal Olympics were a tribute to the Gods, notably Venus (Aphrodite).

I thought it was Zeus. But that doesn't make it Pagan I thought.
HAHA that is hilarious!!
Reply 24
goldenbarnes

Brilliant!
"The second coming is near"

Filthy b******
I don't mind certain protestors, but he just gives them a bad name.
Reply 27
NDGAARONDI
I thought it was Zeus. But that doesn't make it Pagan I thought.

Yep, though the Olympics were timed by the cycle of the planet Venus.

It is Pagan belief, though these days the term pagan has been corrupted and most people associate it with devil-worship, it's not.
Reply 28
goldenbarnes
He was slowing anyway and had pushed far too early and probably would have finished third anyway - definately wouldn't have finished first - he was getting caught far too quickly.

It didn't matter. At least he would have had a chance. That incident alone would have cost him more than 10 secinds. And then to top it off, it made him lose his rhythm completely, and he wasn't able to retain it back properly. Ok, well this is what the commentators said. To lose your rhythm in the marathon spoils your running style and I guess your time.
Reply 29
Horan deserves to be shot.
Lord Huntroyde
It is Pagan belief, though these days the term pagan has been corrupted and most people associate it with devil-worship, it's not.

I know. The word witch was derived from Pagan England, which was different to what people think - women practicing everything Pagan etc
Reply 31

After the race, the International Olympic Committee said it was saddened by the incident and awarded de Lima the Pierre de Coubertin Medal at the closing ceremony.

An IOC spokesman said: "We decided to do this in recognition of de Lima's exceptional demonstration of fair play and Olympic values during this evening's marathon."

How did he demonstrate "fair play and Olympic values"? By not kicking the crazy priests head in? Or by shouting anti-Christian pagan slogans at him (the Olympics was originally a pagan celebration I think)?
piginapoke
What they really meant to say was "we are really embarassed at the lack of security and kind of feel sorry for the Brazilian bloke, here's a token gesture to compensate and divert attention".

Don't forget the, 'thank you for not complaining too much' part... Or does that fit in with the 'diverting attention' part?
Reply 33
Mark_KK
AQA English Language A2 UMS Mark for A = 480, my mark = 479 :mad: QUOTE]
Grrr... To see Lima cry was terrible though! I felt so awful for him :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending