The Student Room Group

People's expectations vs your own desires.

I was brought up to be academic, attended a RG and graduated with my 2.1 in Law. Then to make a lot of money and start a family.

I am financially comfortable despite not having long stints at work. My personal endeavors in my own side business paid off. But ****, was this meant to make me happy?

I hate the 9-5 life. Trying to earn more just to live by a type of life that has always been expected. That middle class servitude and happiness to just be materialistic, the latest IPhone or whatever. It's just not me though.

I like having no responsibility, I like being able to travel anywhere in the world on a whim. I like trying things... transient relationships, prostitutes, alcohol (big no no in my family), flying a plane.

Has anyone just decided to say "**** it" and decide to become their own boss and to cut links to people who expect you to live a certain way? One of my friends from Law school became a yoga teacher much to the disdain of her parents. I guess it is difficult for me because I have always been trying to obey the rules and be seen as a good person. But now I just feel like it is all b.s. as there is no real reward.
You only live one life. Be greatful and do the things you love most.
If you do what others want rather than living for yourself, you'll never be happy
If you try to please people, know there's no pleasing them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending