The Student Room Group

I got 600 on UKCAT

Hi, just got 600 on UKCAT because i got 460 on VR. Should i bother applying yo medicine with A*AA prediction and B's and C's in gcse?
A level predicitions r good but the rest is not competitive. what was your SJ band?
what's ur individual scores for each section?
VR lots struggle with.
Reply 3
Original post by sulaimanali
A level predicitions r good but the rest is not competitive. what was your SJ band?

Band 2
Reply 4
Original post by sulaimanali
what's ur individual scores for each section?
Vr lots struggle with.

vr:460
qr:740
dm-620
ar:580
Original post by johnny786
Hi, just got 600 on UKCAT because i got 460 on VR. Should i bother applying yo medicine with A*AA prediction and B's and C's in gcse?

I think that you should still apply to medicine, but since you're GCSE's and UKCAT doesn't seem to be as competitive however you still have a chance with you're personal statement. You could possible apply for an extra Biomedical/Biochemistry degree as an extra safety or you could consider doing the BMAT and apply for universities like Lancaster or Leeds that looks at the BMAT rather than UKCAT.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6

Your best bet is probably universities which don't focus too much on UKCAT. However, the issue is your GCSEs aren't exactly miraculous.

I think the most realistic option is to probably take a gap year, so achieve your A level results (AAA minimum) and then re-take UKCAT and build up experiences, improve PS etc.

All the best.
Reply 7
Have a look at Bristol, which is personal statement heavy, or Exeter which mainly look at predicted grades I think.

Focus on BMAT. Your predictions are good for many BMAT universities, understandably it is a risk to do most of your options as BMAT universities. Also, be sure to check out the GCSE requirements of universities as some will need specific grades or averages.

Alternatively, take a gap year. It'll mean you have less stress this year (trust me on this), I have a friend who scored 620 I think, had A*A*A - A*A*A* (not sure which one), all A's at AS, and all A*/A's at GCSE was rejected from all her universities, which was a shock. But, actually, she intended to take a gap year, we sort of encouraged her to do a deferred entry instead. Since A Levels are now linear, gap years make sense, also, many medics take gap years!

Also for those saying Bristol, I would say that's a small chance unless your PS is better than everyone who applies, their ratio of applicants to offer is one of the largest I've seen it's ridiculous, greater than most if not all medical schools something like 14:1 (not sure about this, checked last year).

Just make an informed decision. Ask around but don't keep your hopes pinned on one university. But doing a gap year isn't the worst thing, it's common and I think the offer rate for those with achieved A level's is higher.
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice guys!
I am thinking of applying to Newcastle, Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth and Durham w/ foundation year. As these uni's are GCSE low and PS high. So may take the risk of a low UKCAT and if i get no offers i will study medicine in Netherlands or Bulgaria.
Think UKCAT is too low for Newcastle so. Best bet would be BMAT unis.
Reply 11
I got a score of 622.5 average. VR- 510. QR - 770. AR - 600. DM - 610. sjt band 4. 4A* 5A gcses and predicted AAAA at AS. and should get predicted at least A*AA. Which unis could I apply to in London.
You only have 4 Unis, correct? As a prospective medical student, you're already pretty tied right now, you have to apply strategically, here's how:

1) Don't apply to anywhere that prioritises the UKCAT/GCSEs, if you can, try go for the BMAT because some Unis will take that in preference. (If your personal statement is exceptional enough/A Levels then you might get away with it)

2) Take a Gap Year: You'll probably be able to potentially re-do some A Levels, as well you'll also be able to build up an even stronger personal statement, if you build it up enough, unis will take that any day of the week, but be prepared to work hard.

3) EUROPE: Apply in Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Slovakia, maybe apply in other places like the Netherlands, not only do these have good quality facilities, but it'll also mean you'll be able to practice EU wide too, just the same as a UK one (for now at least.), consider this if money/travelling is not an issue with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending