The Student Room Group

My tutoring business

Hi,

I'm 17 and i want to set up a tutoring business to go alongside my Saturday job since my current job cannot provide many hours.

How would you recommend getting students and would i have to pay tax or produce any other forms of legs documentation?

Thank you
Reply 1
@MollieB03 It's good to see you getting out there educating!

Do you have an idea of what subject you will teach? the level? and how much you will charge per hour? etc. Regardless, my advice to you would be start small. Place an advert in the local paper, spread the word asking your relatives if they need a tutor. If that fails you could join an agency who will advertise for you but take a cut of your wage.

You would not pay tax as you would not go over the threshold.
Reply 2
Original post by S27
@MollieB03 It's good to see you getting out there educating!

Do you have an idea of what subject you will teach? the level? and how much you will charge per hour? etc. Regardless, my advice to you would be start small. Place an advert in the local paper, spread the word asking your relatives if they need a tutor. If that fails you could join an agency who will advertise for you but take a cut of your wage.

I would like to tutor GCSE maths since i got an A* myself at GCSE and am currently studying the subject at ALevel.
Thank you for your reply.
Original post by MollieB03
I would like to tutor GCSE maths since i got an A* myself at GCSE and am currently studying the subject at ALevel.
Thank you for your reply.

You can have a look at tutor websites, such as Tutora or Tutor Hunt. Create a profile and see how it goes!
Original post by S27

But in theory, you would need to send in a self assessment tax return. That said, HMRC are not that interested in youngsters earning a bit of extra pocket money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending