The Student Room Group

Cfe higher Modern studies results (2017)

What did everyone get?
I got 98%
😁
Reply 1
Wrong post lol oop
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone who has just done Higher Modern Studies could send me their notes on immigration and an immigration essay as the Modern Studies teachers in my school are really bad and don't teach, they just talk about motivation and then give us a booklet with loads of pointless power point slides on them. Anyway, I just need someone to tell me how to structure my notes so I can easily put them into an essay. Thanks!
P.S. I just finished NAT5 Modern Studies and achieved an A and just started Higher in June. I am trying to get my notes so far written up so anything would be a great help. :wink:
Original post by anonymousebonita
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone who has just done Higher Modern Studies could send me their notes on immigration and an immigration essay as the Modern Studies teachers in my school are really bad and don't teach, they just talk about motivation and then give us a booklet with loads of pointless power point slides on them. Anyway, I just need someone to tell me how to structure my notes so I can easily put them into an essay. Thanks!
P.S. I just finished NAT5 Modern Studies and achieved an A and just started Higher in June. I am trying to get my notes so far written up so anything would be a great help. :wink:

Haha! Are you sure you are not in my school. Exactly the same!
I too jumped into it at N5. And it is by far my favourite subject (as can be seen ^).
We didn't do immigration but, I would suggest going to websites on other schools and printing out exemplar essays.
Remember, the marks are so open so you just have to manipulate the question. It all works out in the end. You feel as though they give you useless power points with no info but, you have to 'make your own essays.' And find your own information.
Follow the PEEREEL / KAKKAKE structure and you'll do great. Advanced higher here I come haha 😁
Original post by Justin.Reid2000
What did everyone get?
I got 98%
😁

Hey! Just wanted to congratulate you on your amazing result. I got an A in National 5 this year and I'm a couple of months in to Higher now. I have read over the course specification and past papers. Source questions are absolutely fine but the highly unpredictable and direct essay questions are my worry.

How did you revise successfully this year to get an A1? How'd you fit your KU into the essay question? Any tips would be much appreciated. I'm really worried.
Original post by _Matthew01_
Hey! Just wanted to congratulate you on your amazing result. I got an A in National 5 this year and I'm a couple of months in to Higher now. I have read over the course specification and past papers. Source questions are absolutely fine but the highly unpredictable and direct essay questions are my worry.

How did you revise successfully this year to get an A1? How'd you fit your KU into the essay question? Any tips would be much appreciated. I'm really worried.

There is honestly no secret to it. I love politics and can say easily I would have got 100% had it not been for the conclusion part of the source question. Hardest couple of marks to get!

Anyhow, the best way to tackle an essay is to not over think it. Prepare yourself to have the knowledge- build up a bank of facts and figures. Analysis, as you probably know, is just common sense.
As I mentioned previously, you follow the PEEREEL structure but don't stress over it. I sometimes think of it like KAKKAKE. It doesn't matter how you structure each paragraph necessarily, as long as your hitting KU and Analysis/evaluation. 2 marks for intro, conc and paragraphs. Easy!

I write absolutely loads and left the exam with 11 extra bits of paper over the exam booklet. But I have huge writing.

This sounds crazy but one of the ways I like to revise is by talking to myself. Studies have found that those that speak to themselves are more focused etc and more efficient at getting tasks done. Mind maps and flash cards don't work for me at all.
I take scrap bits of paper and bullet point the key knowledge points (I create a plan) with regard to an essay.
I also made some use of my magic whiteboards- stick the film to my bedroom walls. When I was home alone, I would actually speak to myself, as if I was presenting a talk/ teaching someone about the essay.
If anyone walked in, I would be in hospital 😂
But I believe it works and I enjoy it. Instead of staring at a book and looking at past papers- not like maths or science- why bother (apart from source practice)?
Presenting my information in a logical order, ensuring I could explain it simply to others (really myself), I was confident about the exam.

None of that will make sense but...there you go! 😁👍
There is honestly no secret to it. I love politics and can say easily I would have got 100% had it not been for the conclusion part of the source question. Hardest couple of marks to get!

Anyhow, the best way to tackle an essay is to not over think it. Prepare yourself to have the knowledge- build up a bank of facts and figures. Analysis, as you probably know, is just common sense.
As I mentioned previously, you follow the PEEREEL structure but don't stress over it. I sometimes think of it like KAKKAKE. It doesn't matter how you structure each paragraph necessarily, as long as your hitting KU and Analysis/evaluation. 2 marks for intro, conc and paragraphs. Easy!

I write absolutely loads and left the exam with 11 extra bits of paper over the exam booklet. But I have huge writing.

This sounds crazy but one of the ways I like to revise is by talking to myself. Studies have found that those that speak to themselves are more focused etc and more efficient at getting tasks done. Mind maps and flash cards don't work for me at all.
I take scrap bits of paper and bullet point the key knowledge points (I create a plan) with regard to an essay.
I also made some use of my magic whiteboards- stick the film to my bedroom walls. When I was home alone, I would actually speak to myself, as if I was presenting a talk/ teaching someone about the essay.
If anyone walked in, I would be in hospital 😂
But I believe it works and I enjoy it. Instead of staring at a book and looking at past papers- not like maths or science- why bother (apart from source practice)?
Presenting my information in a logical order, ensuring I could explain it simply to others (really myself), I was confident about the exam.

None of that will make sense but...there you go! 😁👍

Thank you so so much for the advice 😊 Means a lot.

How did you know what essays to plan? Did you check the course outline or something? I was thinking of doing that but I feel it could end badly.
What did everyone get?
I got 98%
😁

woahhh well done!!!!! i got 91%, 29/30 in the assigment (ngl wee bit annoyed about that lol) and 53/60 in the exam paper which i think is decent considering i forgot all my inequality informaton so i made an inequality up and somehow got away with it
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you so so much for the advice 😊 Means a lot.

How did you know what essays to plan? Did you check the course outline or something? I was thinking of doing that but I feel it could end badly.

I made a really bad mistake. I anticipated the 20 marker to be on the World unit. Threw me off course a bit.
I expect it to be in that section this year.
I prepared for what I thought would be in the exam for history and it worked very well- that’s cus my teacher helps to write the exams 😂
Don’t do it. Prepare for almost everything. There are some things I wouldn’t bother with. If you are doing the UK, for example, I wouldn’t do a devolution essay.
Original post by tessglasgow
woahhh well done!!!!! i got 91%, 29/30 in the assigment (ngl wee bit annoyed about that lol) and 53/60 in the exam paper which i think is decent considering i forgot all my inequality informaton so i made an inequality up and somehow got away with it

Thank you! I notice you’re in Glasgow. Just visiting here just now 😁😁 love it here!

That’s good marks. Are you doing AH?
Thank you! I notice you’re in Glasgow. Just visiting here just now 😁😁 love it here!

yeah I am doing AH, doing the crime and punishment ection.

and actually no im not from glasgow, im from edinburgh but my last name is glasgow so thats where that has come from, but glasgow really is great

Hey! I’ll be starting my assignment in around November or so. Despite you doing so well overall last year, do you have any recommendations on any good topics and advice on getting a top mark? :smile:
Hey! I’ll be starting my assignment in around November or so. Despite you doing so well overall last year, do you have any recommendations on any good topics and advice on getting a top mark? :smile:

Hey, I got full marks for my one on NHS finding. My tips would be:

Choose a topic that is not philosophical. And write it as a ‘report’ for example, i started with ‘To Shona Robson, Scottish health secretary,’
With an opening statement.
I finished with a closing statement, signed it and dated it.

Some schools just write is as an essay. Set it out as a report!

Sometimes it’s good to find your own sources too. For example, I emailed my MP and the finance director of the NHS grampian.

Fill the introduction with about 5-6 marks of knowledge.
Then make sure you spread the knowledge out through the report.

Mark it yourself. Be critical. Make sure you have covered everything. Don’t waste too much time on methodology because it’s easy and only gains you a small number of marks.

And male sure you don’t sit on the fence for your argument in the conclusion.
Make that really, really detailed as well.
Was supposedly aimed for A but I failed, it's getting appealed x
Hey, I got full marks for my one on NHS finding. My tips would be:

Choose a topic that is not philosophical. And write it as a ‘report’ for example, i started with ‘To Shona Robson, Scottish health secretary,’
With an opening statement.
I finished with a closing statement, signed it and dated it.

Some schools just write is as an essay. Set it out as a report!

Sometimes it’s good to find your own sources too. For example, I emailed my MP and the finance director of the NHS grampian.

Fill the introduction with about 5-6 marks of knowledge.
Then make sure you spread the knowledge out through the report.

Mark it yourself. Be critical. Make sure you have covered everything. Don’t waste too much time on methodology because it’s easy and only gains you a small number of marks.

And male sure you don’t sit on the fence for your argument in the conclusion.
Make that really, really detailed as well.

Hey! Will you please fill out my survey?

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CBPYXSB

Quick Reply

Latest