The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by P3dro
Isn't that a black tie basically? :biggrin:

Nope. A tuxedo/dinner jacket & the trousers are different to a dark suit.
Original post by P3dro
It was a matriculation photo and when I zoomed in, a few guys have their gowns open and it looks like they're wearing a waistcoat but now that I looked better at one of them, it's actually a jacket :biggrin: when you say a dinner jacket, is that different from a normal suit jacket?

A dinner jacket = tuxedo = 'black tie' (dress code) > men's formal wear

So it's not same as a suit jacket as 'a type' of jacket, but some dinner jacket/tuxude looks similar to a suit jacket, style-wise.
You can google images of dinner jacket and have a look yourself. :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Anyone know how to apply for the Cambridge bursary scheme?
Original post by vincrows
Yes, that's what I meant by free laundry. :wink:

And what's the catch? Are you gradually finding out there isn't a such thing as free lunch? :tongue:
Just checked your accommodation charges.....
It's a bit on expensive side and says it 'includes laundry'......:wink:

Edit:
Actually the rent includes KFC, too. So it's not too bad at all........for cheaper rooms.
Rooms in higher hands are quite a lot more expensive than typical rents at other colleges, so basically those on higher bands are subsidising for other people. :biggrin:

Where does it say that the rent includes kfc?
Original post by ClassicalKeynes1
Where does it say that the rent includes kfc?

At the bottom of 'Room Rents' section.

"Most colleges charge a separate 'Catering Fixed Charge' in addition to room rent. The figures shown here for Emmanuel are inclusive of that charge." http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/accommodation/rents/

They seem to call it 'catering fixed charge' but it's KFC by different name.
Original post by ClassicalKeynes1
Anyone know how to apply for the Cambridge bursary scheme?

i don't think you apply, they use your student finance information and tell you if you if you are entitled (If you are from the uk, i think it's different for international students)
here's a link with information as I may have mis-interpreted it.
http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridgebursary/how-apply/uk-students
Is anyone going to one of the Welcome to Cambridge events? I'd be curious to hear feedback if you have any.
Here's a chart of typical (i.e. average) first year living costs per college. Note not all colleges are listed.

Cambridge college rent & living costs.jpg

The black bar is refundable deposit/caution money. Some colleges include elec/wifi/etc in rent, some don't.

Info from 2014/15.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Here's a chart of typical (i.e. average) first year living costs per college. Note not all colleges are listed.

Cambridge college rent & living costs.jpg

The black bar is refundable deposit/caution money. Some colleges include elec/wifi/etc in rent, some don't.

Info from 2014/15.

Very important key word there is it only shows 'average'.
Actual amount you spend would be hugely influenced by your choice of room/price band, how much you spend on food (and whether you cook yourself or not) and other things, etc. etc.

As Peterhouse Admission warned in this post, 'There is far more variation on spend within a single college than between the average spend at different colleges.'
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4915512#post73515080

It can be useful to have a graph like that to see the differences in a very simplistic picture, but we have to be careful how to read it as it's a small snapshot of a bigger picture which is much more complicated than it looks.
Reply 389
Wow. Kinda wishing I'd seen that graph before I applied to Lucy Cavendish 😂 Also wishing that I'd known they don't provide a full catering service.
Original post by Rattie
Wow. Kinda wishing I'd seen that graph before I applied to Lucy Cavendish 😂 Also wishing that I'd known they don't provide a full catering service.

What do you mean by 'they don't provide full catering service?'
At any college it's your choice if you want to eat in their cafe/buttery/dining hall or you want to cook yourself.
Anyone know when we get our Cambridge email addresses/portal logins? I want to buy a macbook and take advantage of Apple's student offers, but can't until I can prove that I am going to Cambridge
Reply 392
Original post by Stringer8ell
Anyone know when we get our Cambridge email addresses/portal logins? I want to buy a macbook and take advantage of Apple's student offers, but can't until I can prove that I am going to Cambridge

Well before term starts. You can always go to the Apple store in town if you don't have time at home, all you need to do is show them your student card.
Original post by alow
Well before term starts. You can always go to the Apple store in town if you don't have time at home, all you need to do is show them your student card.

Ok, thank you.
Original post by Stringer8ell

Should be coming in today/soon - I know some people who just got theirs today (but it'll certainly come well before term starts)
Original post by Zacken
Should be coming in today/soon - I know some people who just got theirs today (but it'll certainly come well before term starts)
Yeah, I got mine today
Original post by vincrows
Very important key word there is it only shows 'average'.
Actual amount you spend would be hugely influenced by your choice of room/price band, how much you spend on food (and whether you cook yourself or not) and other things, etc. etc.

As Peterhouse Admission warned in this post, 'There is far more variation on spend within a single college than between the average spend at different colleges.'
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4915512#post73515080

It can be useful to have a graph like that to see the differences in a very simplistic picture, but we have to be careful how to read it as it's a small snapshot of a bigger picture which is much more complicated than it looks.

Original post by Rattie

I'll upload a chart of cheapest vs. most expensive room per college later (might be in a few days....).

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
I am an overseas student and got my billing details (whole year's tuition + a deposit of £1,300) from Magdalene College. I wish to pay before applying for the tier 4 visa. Now, will my CAS be updated (stating that I've made the payment of my tuition fees) if I do so? or what other proof can I use for the visa application to show that my payment is done?
Original post by botmun2
I am an overseas student and got my billing details (whole year's tuition + a deposit of £1,300) from Magdalene College. I wish to pay before applying for the tier 4 visa. Now, will my CAS be updated (stating that I've made the payment of my tuition fees) if I do so? or what other proof can I use for the visa application to show that my payment is done?

Tagging our resident international student @Zacken
Original post by botmun2

If your college allows you to pay for your fees now, then you'll need to email the international students team at [email protected] asking for them to provide you with an updated CAS showing that you have paid for the tuition fees. Make sure to quote your USN, College, name and course at the top of your email. They will either contact the college directly to verify that you have paid the course fees or ask you for the relevant evidence, in any case, as they are the ones that issue the CAS they will be able to advise you on what to do, so email the ASAP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending