The Student Room Group

Failed twice - has he blown it?

A mate of mine was doing a computing degree. He took the first year...... and failed.
He then repeated the first year......... and guess what........... he failed again!

I was really surprised at this because he is one brainy f**ker! (he got B's at A level). He does have a very colourful social life, but thats never affected his studies before. Dunno went wrong but he said he's gonna take a gap year to work, and return to higher education when he's a bit more committed to it. But I said he can't because if you fail twice then you basically blow your chance of getting a degree right?

I almost got myself in the same situation, but it looks like I passed this year! I still ain't sure about the degree I'm doing though and might transfer to another one.
Reply 1
crescendo
A mate of mine was doing a computing degree. He took the first year...... and failed.
He then repeated the first year......... and guess what........... he failed again!

I was really surprised at this because he is one brainy f**ker! (he got B's at A level). He does have a very colourful social life, but thats never affected his studies before. Dunno went wrong but he said he's gonna take a gap year to work, and return to higher education when he's a bit more committed to it. But I said he can't because if you fail twice then you basically blow your chance of getting a degree right?

I almost got in the same situation, but it looks like I passed this year! I still ain't sure about the degree I'm doing though and might transfer to another one.

After failing twice, his current univeristy probably wouldn't let him continue with his current degree, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't apply to another degree course in a year or two.

I think he is doing the right thing in taking a bit of time out to reassess things. A 'colourful' social life is all well and good but you do need to put in the work. Maybe after some time out to think about what he really wants from life he will go back with a renewed determination..
crescendo
If you fail twice then you basically blow your chance of getting a degree right?

No, but you make yourself look pretty stupid.
Reply 3
I think you have a certain time to complete a degree in, at my uni a 3 year course would need to be completed within 5 years, and a 4 year course within 6 (Incase you failed or wanted a year out etc..), Cos i think your modules have a shelf life basically.
Reply 4
Dr. Blazed
No, but you make yourself look pretty stupid.

Ya that would be a thing NOT to include on your CV..

Student:

Hey MR Employer I took my freshers Year... You know the one where i only needed to get 40% average for the Year and guess what... I failed.... not once but twice.

Give me a job please, cause im a real commited,intelligent,work driven individual

Job Interviewer:

So erm what other qualifications do you have?

Student:

I make a mean cocktail, can balance a pen on my nose and have some specactular party tricks i learned generally bumming around at university

Job Interviewer:

Uhuh......................... thank you that will be all, we will be in touch *wat a looser*

Anyone who thinks otherwise is nieve.
Reply 5
crescendo

I almost got myself in the same situation, but it looks like I passed this year! I still ain't sure about the degree I'm doing though and might transfer to another one.

Why do Bs at A level make him brainy? Or did he not do an ounce of work for them?
Reply 6
Neas
Ya that would be a thing NOT to include on your CV..

Student:

Hey MR Employer I took my freshers Year... You know the one where i only needed to get 40% average for the Year and guess what... I failed.... not once but twice.

Give me a job please, cause im a real commited,intelligent,work driven individual

Job Interviewer:

So erm what other qualifications do you have?

Student:

I make a mean cocktail, can balance a pen on my nose and have some specactular party tricks i learned generally bumming around at university

Job Interviewer:

Uhuh......................... thank you that will be all, we will be in touch *wat a looser*

Anyone who thinks otherwise is nieve.

That is true, if you can't pass the first you don't have any chance of passing the second year. Computing subjects require a lot of work to be inputted such as writing complex programs, if you're off partying every night then it is not going to happen. Also if he does decide to go back to university he can't expect any LEA help.
Mysticmin
Why do Bs at A level make him brainy? Or did he not do an ounce of work for them?

Sounds like me! :biggrin:
Reply 8
ChemistBoy
Sounds like me! :biggrin:

what not brainy :tongue:
Vladek
what not brainy :tongue:

:tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending