The Student Room Group

Failing foundation year

I think I’ve failed foundation year. I had one module and 1 component to resit and I went to submit the resits but submitted them as a draft instead and the submissions closed. I don’t know what to do and I’m upset because I feel like I might not go into first year, plus would student finance even cover a retake year? Would it be possible to go into first year and just retake the modules along side it? Do I have to retake the modules part time? Any help would be appreciated!
You need to talk to your university about this. The outcome and your options depends upon their regulations.
Original post by Anonymous
I think I’ve failed foundation year. I had one module and 1 component to resit and I went to submit the resits but submitted them as a draft instead and the submissions closed. I don’t know what to do and I’m upset because I feel like I might not go into first year, plus would student finance even cover a retake year? Would it be possible to go into first year and just retake the modules along side it? Do I have to retake the modules part time? Any help would be appreciated!

All of the questions you've asked (except for the one about student finance) vary from university to university. Which university are you at?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
All of the questions you've asked (except for the one about student finance) vary from university to university. Which university are you at?

The university of west England, Bristol

Hey! so yes, SFE would pay for the retake year as everyone is entitled to one extra year, so for example, if your course is 4 years then it is 4+1=5 years of funding,

Regarding resits, that would depend on your uni so you would have to ask but i was able to resit my year...i know some people who have been able to progress and take modules they had failed the year before so it just depends on the universities policy. Give them a ring and drop an email. Good Luck!
The university of west England, Bristol

OK. UWE's current academic regulations are in this PDF.

With regards to the fact that you "submitted them as a draft instead and the submissions closed", within "D: Framework for Taught Programmes", appears a regulation which provides an automatic 48-hour extension with no penalty:

"4. Module Assessment
(iv) A student will fail an assessment task if they do not participate or submit the piece of work by the published deadline. The exceptions to this will be:
A late submission window of 48 hours from the submission deadline in which a student will not receive a penalty."

If the above does not apply for some reason, and you are deemed to have failed the module resit, then this applies:

"7. Failure of a Module Resit
(i) Where a student fails the resit, the following alternative outcomes will apply, depending on the requirements set out in the Programme Specification:
The student may retake the overall module in which the assessment/s was failed.
The Examining Board may offer for the module to be compensated (see Regulation D8).
The student may enrol on an alternative module to replace the failed module, where this is permitted by the requirements of the programme.
The student may be withdrawn from the programme if the failed module formed a compulsory part of the programme and/or where Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body restrictions do not permit any further opportunity."

Note the reference to "compensation" above. Compensation is basically a process where the university says, "Yeah, we know you failed this module. But you did pretty well at everything else, so we're going to turn a blind eye to the failure and let you progress anyway." The conditions under which compensation may be allowed are detailed below:

"8. Compensation
(ii) Compensation may be considered by an Examining Board where a student has failed a module but has met the criteria below:
A student has undertaken a resit (Compensation may be considered after a first sit only where a student is being considered for an award.); and
A student has achieved the necessary overall pass mark for the programme level (40% for Levels 3-6 and 50% for Level 7); and
It can be demonstrated that the student has met the published learning outcomes for that module elsewhere in the programme; and
It is permissible in the Programme Specification, including within the rules of any Professional, Statutory or Regulatory Body.
(iv) An Examining Board can award compensation as follows:
To a maximum of 30 credits at Level 3.
To a maximum of 30 credits at Level 4.
To a maximum of 45 credits at Level 5 and 6 combined.
To a maximum of 30 credits at Level 7."

As you can see, this is not necessarily the disaster you think it might be. You need to talk to the university and discuss your options. (As @PQ said with much more brevity that I have.) You could talk to UWE's Student Support Advisors (details here) or use the academic advice services offered by the student's union (details here).
Reply 6
Hey! so yes, SFE would pay for the retake year as everyone is entitled to one extra year, so for example, if your course is 4 years then it is 4+1=5 years of funding,

Regarding resits, that would depend on your uni so you would have to ask but i was able to resit my year...i know some people who have been able to progress and take modules they had failed the year before so it just depends on the universities policy. Give them a ring and drop an email. Good Luck!

Thank you so much! I was worried it wouldn’t be and that I wouldn’t be able to apply for maintenance loan either.
Reply 7

With regards to the fact that you "submitted them as a draft instead and the submissions closed", within "D: Framework for Taught Programmes", appears a regulation which provides an automatic 48-hour extension with no penalty:

"4. Module Assessment
(iv) A student will fail an assessment task if they do not participate or submit the piece of work by the published deadline. The exceptions to this will be:
A late submission window of 48 hours from the submission deadline in which a student will not receive a penalty."

If the above does not apply for some reason, and you are deemed to have failed the module resit, then this applies:

(i) Where a student fails the resit, the following alternative outcomes will apply, depending on the requirements set out in the Programme Specification:
The Examining Board may offer for the module to be compensated (see Regulation D8).
The student may enrol on an alternative module to replace the failed module, where this is permitted by the requirements of the programme.
The student may be withdrawn from the programme if the failed module formed a compulsory part of the programme and/or where Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body restrictions do not permit any further opportunity."

Note the reference to "compensation" above. Compensation is basically a process where the university says, "Yeah, we know you failed this module. But you did pretty well at everything else, so we're going to turn a blind eye to the failure and let you progress anyway." The conditions under which compensation may be allowed are detailed below:

"8. Compensation
(ii) Compensation may be considered by an Examining Board where a student has failed a module but has met the criteria below:
A student has undertaken a resit (Compensation may be considered after a first sit only where a student is being considered for an award.); and
A student has achieved the necessary overall pass mark for the programme level (40% for Levels 3-6 and 50% for Level 7); and
It can be demonstrated that the student has met the published learning outcomes for that module elsewhere in the programme; and
It is permissible in the Programme Specification, including within the rules of any Professional, Statutory or Regulatory Body.

As you can see, this is not necessarily the disaster you think it might be. You need to talk to the university and discuss your options. (As @PQ said with much more brevity that I have.) You could talk to UWE's Student Support Advisors (details here) or use the academic advice services offered by the student's union (details here).

Thank you so much! This has given me a little bit of hope and taken a little stress off my shoulders. I’ve contacted to book an appointment with a student advisor and see what the outcome is possibly looking like.
Thank you so much! This has given me a little bit of hope and taken a little stress off my shoulders. I’ve contacted to book an appointment with a student advisor and see what the outcome is possibly looking like.

Excellent. Good plan.
Reply 9

"4. Module Assessment

"8. Compensation

Will the examination board decision allow one final chance to retake a compulsory module failed twice due to family and personal illness?
Original post by Zahwa
Will the examination board decision allow one final chance to retake a compulsory module failed twice due to family and personal illness?

I have no idea, I'm afraid. Are you the original poster of this thread (just no longer anonymous)?

If you're not, then unless that you also happen to be studying at UWE, none of the information above is applicable, as it relates specifically to UWE's academic regulations. Every university is different in this regard.

The UWE regulations do contain a provision for someone who has failed a module resit to "retake the overall module in which the assessment/s was failed."
Reply 11
I have no idea, I'm afraid. Are you the original poster of this thread (just no longer anonymous)?

If you're not, then unless that you also happen to be studying at UWE, none of the information above is applicable, as it relates specifically to UWE's academic regulations. Every university is different in this regard.

The UWE regulations do contain a provision for someone who has failed a module resit to "retake the overall module in which the assessment/s was failed."

Thank you for your reply
No I am a different person, I am an international student I study pharmacy at the university of Brighton and I have been repeating one compulsory module twice I have been withdrawn and asked by the SU to apply for an additional consideration request . The reason behind failing the module at a consecutive time was due to my poor mental health which has worsen because of my father’s mental illness which accentuated my worries and depression I have provided psychologist and psychiatrist medical reports for both me and my dad and I am waiting for the outcome
Original post by Zahwa
Thank you for your reply
No I am a different person, I am an international student I study pharmacy at the university of Brighton and I have been repeating one compulsory module twice I have been withdrawn and asked by the SU to apply for an additional consideration request . The reason behind failing the module at a consecutive time was due to my poor mental health which has worsen because of my father’s mental illness which accentuated my worries and depression I have provided psychologist and psychiatrist medical reports for both me and my dad and I am waiting for the outcome

OK. Brighton's General Examination and Assessment Regulations for Taught Courses (GEAR) are available here.

The phrase "at the discretion of the Examination Board" appears a lot, which makes the document effectively worthless. They might as well say, "We'll only adhere to these regulations if we want to."

I have a couple of questions about the compulsory module which you have now failed twice:
How many credits was it worth? Was it more than 20?
Was it a year two module? Or did you initially fail it in year one, and were were allowed to trail the credits via a conditional progression into the year two?

It is worth noting that regulation 5.2 (which falls within section 5, Repeat) includes this clause:
"vi. one further referral may be permitted if a repeated module is failed (unless the student has reached the maximum number of assessment attempts permitted under the regulations)."

So that means you can fail a module, repeat it and fail again, and still have "one further referral". Unfortunately it continues "...may be permitted...". So this is "at the discretion of the Course Examination Board".

Have you followed the advice of the Students' Union and contacted the Additional Consideration Office? (Details of how to make a full request for additional consideration are provided in section 5.6 of GEAR.)
Reply 13
OK. Brighton's General Examination and Assessment Regulations for Taught Courses (GEAR) are available here.

The phrase "at the discretion of the Examination Board" appears a lot, which makes the document effectively worthless. They might as well say, "We'll only adhere to these regulations if we want to."

I have a couple of questions about the compulsory module which you have now failed twice:
Was it a year two module? Or did you initially fail it in year one, and were were allowed to trail the credits via a conditional progression into the year two?

It is worth noting that regulation 5.2 (which falls within section 5, Repeat) includes this clause:
"vi. one further referral may be permitted if a repeated module is failed (unless the student has reached the maximum number of assessment attempts permitted under the regulations)."

So that means you can fail a module, repeat it and fail again, and still have "one further referral". Unfortunately it continues "...may be permitted...". So this is "at the discretion of the Course Examination Board".

Have you followed the advice of the Students' Union and contacted the Additional Consideration Office? (Details of how to make a full request for additional consideration are provided in section 5.6 of GEAR.)

Really helpful informations
The module worths 30 credits and it is second year module I have been repeating the module with attendance while being enrolled as part time student
Reply 14

Yes I have completed an additional consideration request and provided with the medical report proofs
Original post by Zahwa
Really helpful informations
The module worths 30 credits and it is second year module I have been repeating the module with attendance while being enrolled as part time student

Understood. The fact that it's worth 30 credits is a shame, as there are some regulations (e.g. those relating to both trailing credits and compensation) which only apply to modules worth up to 20 credits.

Original post by Zahwa
Yes I have completed an additional consideration request and provided with the medical report proofs

Excellent. So I guess you just have to wait and see now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending