The Student Room Group

How to revise and pass gsces!

Hi can anyone give me tips and how early I should start revising I'm about to start year 10 and what to expect please!
Original post by Zovpiv
Hi can anyone give me tips and how early I should start revising I'm about to start year 10 and what to expect please!

Hi!

Well done on realising that you’re going to have to put a lot of hard work into your GCSEs - but don’t get ahead of yourself! Does your school do all GCSEs at the end of year 11 or do you do some early?

If you don’t do any until Year 11 then I would recommend consolidating notes bit by bit throughout the year when you have time. The most important thing at this stage would be to ensure that you’re understanding the material and learning it, and asking questions as you go along.

If you do some earlier then you need to set aside time each week to ensure you are keeping everything together with your notes. At holidays review the work you have done that half term, and make sure you write down what you don’t understand so that when you get closer to the exams you can effectively target your revision.

Make sure you know the syllabuses (you can find them online, and they vary by exam board and sometimes there is more than one variation for each subject within an exam board e.g. English Literature B by AQA). Find what works best for you with revision styles - mind maps, lists, revision guides, etc. and then stick to it!

Good luck, and any more specific questions feel free to ask!
Reply 2
Original post by medblrintraining
Hi!

Well done on realising that you’re going to have to put a lot of hard work into your GCSEs - but don’t get ahead of yourself! Does your school do all GCSEs at the end of year 11 or do you do some early?

If you don’t do any until Year 11 then I would recommend consolidating notes bit by bit throughout the year when you have time. The most important thing at this stage would be to ensure that you’re understanding the material and learning it, and asking questions as you go along.

If you do some earlier then you need to set aside time each week to ensure you are keeping everything together with your notes. At holidays review the work you have done that half term, and make sure you write down what you don’t understand so that when you get closer to the exams you can effectively target your revision.

Make sure you know the syllabuses (you can find them online, and they vary by exam board and sometimes there is more than one variation for each subject within an exam board e.g. English Literature B by AQA). Find what works best for you with revision styles - mind maps, lists, revision guides, etc. and then stick to it!

Good luck, and any more specific questions feel free to ask!

Hi I think my Gsces will be done at the end of year 11 but I just moved to England from Scotland did not do the sciences and have missed out on some subjects so if you could please advise me on what I should do to make sure I pass my gsces.

Quick Reply

Latest