The Student Room Group

Is retaking A2 worth it?

I achieved BDE in my A2 exams this year and still managed to get into my insurance (Brunel)which wanted BBB for my course (Economics). I feel like I didn't work to my full potential this year and could do better and don't want to settle for less so I'm thinking of taking a gap year and revising at home and retaking these exams and then reapplying In September for the 2018 entry.

However, people are telling me this would be a waste of a year as I've already been accepted to uni and I could just transfer but I think Jt would be harder to change uni that way and ild still stick with my terrible results.
So should I retake or stay at Brunel?
Also if I do retake ild like to apply to unis such as Surrey, Aston and Warwick Soas and Royal Holloway as they're high ranked for Economics and don't require a level maths. I think these unis accept retakes too.
Also has anyone even retaken their A2 year and was it worth it ?
Got AAB at A2 last year. This year I've been working and resat 5 papers as a private candidate. Got A*AB - only 2 UMS off an A* in FM tho ;__;

Do you have any plans for a potential year off to resit?
Reply 2
Original post by hatedigi
Got AAB at A2 last year. This year I've been working and resat 5 papers as a private candidate. Got A*AB - only 2 UMS off an A* in FM tho ;__;

Do you have any plans for a potential year off to resit?

Yeah ild really like to resit my exams and go from BDE to hopefully AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cathartic
Yeah ild really like to resit my exams and go from BDE to hopefully AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean aside from the resits. Would you want to retake the whole of year 13 at a college? Study at home? Work? Travel? Learn a language? ect.
Reply 4
Original post by hatedigi
I mean aside from the resits. Would you want to retake the whole of year 13 at a college? Study at home? Work? Travel? Learn a language? ect.

Oh ild like to study at home and only go to school to sit the exams. And then work and earn some money for uni whilst getting some experience in economics and accounting

Posted from TSR Mobile
I achieved BDE in my A2 exams this year and still managed to get into my insurance (Brunel)which wanted BBB for my course (Economics). I feel like I didn't work to my full potential this year and could do better and don't want to settle for less so I'm thinking of taking a gap year and revising at home and retaking these exams and then reapplying In September for the 2018 entry.

However, people are telling me this would be a waste of a year as I've already been accepted to uni and I could just transfer but I think Jt would be harder to change uni that way and ild still stick with my terrible results.
So should I retake or stay at Brunel?
Also if I do retake ild like to apply to unis such as Surrey, Aston and Warwick Soas and Royal Holloway as they're high ranked for Economics and don't require a level maths. I think these unis accept retakes too.
Also has anyone even retaken their A2 year and was it worth it ?
I'm doing the same thing. I do think that those universities accept resits, but honestly, if all you're going to do is use your Gap Year to retake your A-Levels i'd advise you to go to Brunel, but only if you're comfortable with doing so.

With that said, if you do make the decision to take a gap year you should gain any sort of work experience (less of soft skills) relevant to the course you would like to pursue, try get a job that strongly relates to that field, practically anything that would be advantageous to your course that you can do you should try and do during your Gap Year alongside your resits. I think that universities would be impressed by your dedication to resit your exams but that doesn't do much to further your application IMO(assuming you get better grades). On top of that, i think you would have to repeat all the application procedures like rewriting a personal statement and getting predicted grades.

Simply said, i believe that if all you have to declare after your gap year are your A-Level resits, i don't think that's enough to completely justify a gap year unless you include some sort of work experience alongside it.

I obviously don't know how the procedure completely works because I've never been through it before, i'm just listing the personal considerations i made while making the decision.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I'm doing the same thing. I do think that those universities accept resits, but honestly, if all you're going to do is use your Gap Year to retake your A-Levels i'd advise you to go to Brunel, but only if you're comfortable with doing so.

With that said, if you do make the decision to take a gap year you should gain any sort of work experience (less of soft skills) relevant to the course you would like to pursue, try get a job that strongly relates to that field, practically anything that would be advantageous to your course that you can do you should try and do during your Gap Year alongside your resits. I think that universities would be impressed by your dedication to resit your exams but that doesn't do much to further your application IMO(assuming you get better grades). On top of that, i think you would have to repeat all the application procedures like rewriting a personal statement and getting predicted grades.

Simply said, i believe that if all you have to declare after your gap year are your A-Level resits, i don't think that's enough to completely justify a gap year unless you include some sort of work experience alongside it.

I obviously don't know how the procedure completely works because I've never been through it before, i'm just listing the personal considerations i made while making the decision.

Yeah ild like to work and get some work experience in the field of economics and resit my exams. Thank you but I think ild regret not retaking as ild be settling for less by going to Brunel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah ild like to work and get some work experience in the field of economics and resit my exams. Thank you but I think ild regret not retaking as ild be settling for less by going to Brunel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then i'd say that taking a gap year is a good course of action. Are you going to self study or go back to college?.
Reply 8
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Then i'd say that taking a gap year is a good course of action. Are you going to self study or go back to college?.

I plan on self studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
I plan on self studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright then. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest