The Student Room Group

Are my A levels too hard?

I'm going into sixth form in September, and i have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English literature. However i have been advised by many sixth formers that i shouldn't them all together as they will be too hard?
I was told Chemistry is one of the hardest A-Levels. Though I find Physics more challenging.
It all depends on how much you think you can cope with the sciences. If you really enjoyed them at GCSE and did quite well in them, then I'm sure you will be fine. It's important to chose A-Levels that you will enjoy,so that you re motivated to study for them. If you love science, then go for it!
Original post by Nadia1233
I'm going into sixth form in September, and i have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English literature. However i have been advised by many sixth formers that i shouldn't them all together as they will be too hard?

I did biology, psychology and English lit too! (My fourth choice was not on par with your chem though in terms of academia haha) the sixth formers are probably talking about the bio/Chem combo or the fact you've mixed arts with sciences. I'm not the brightest student but I managed and got AAAD at AS with a similar combo so you're Defo cabable! All of those subjects (apart from English - although it'll help develop your psychology essay skills) link well together so you should Be fine!
Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Jasminem97
I did biology, psychology and English lit too! (My fourth choice was not on par with your chem though in terms of academia haha) the sixth formers are probably talking about the bio/Chem combo or the fact you've mixed arts with sciences. I'm not the brightest student but I managed and got AAAD at AS with a similar combo so you're Defo cabable! All of those subjects (apart from English - although it'll help develop your psychology essay skills) link well together so you should Be fine!
Good luck!

Oh okay, that makes me feel so much better aha, thank you!
Reply 5
I did Bio, Chem, Maths, Econs and EPQ in my AS year. Personally, I think having a mix of sciences/humanities subjects could really play as an adv in applying for uni esp if you don't know what you're going to be applying for yet! Bio and Chem for me was manageable and as long as your GCSE understanding is solid, you should be fine! I managed 4As for my subjects btw and our combo's relatively similar seeing as it has a mix of science and humanities subs which require ALOT of writing (esp on the EPQ part), so as you can see it's perfectly doable. Good luckk!!
Original post by Nadia1233
Oh okay, that makes me feel so much better aha, thank you!

Haha it's ok, it's made me feel all nostalgic that you're doing a similar combo :') doing a mix of subjects opens up so many doors in terms of uni courses - best of luck for the future :smile:
I did the same, except History instead of Psychology. I have to say - chemistry was tough. I got a C in my AS this year as I completely flunked the exam. Just make sure you pick subjects you are willing to work towards and you'll be fine. Personally, I think they're fine subjects - and if it ever comes down to it, two sciences, a social science and a well respected humanity are going to be valued more than like, class civ and art, as they're facilitating subjects which unis like. Best of luck!
There isn't anything called hard A-levels. It is subjective to what you think. Doing the subjects you are good at is always the right thing to do and if you enjoy these 4 subjects, then go ahead with them. If you enjoy chemistry, I can assure you that it won't be as hard as people describe it. Challenging, yes because of the massive course content and how much you have to remember but again, I can say the same for biology, physics, economics etc. Just work on the subjects and never think you can revise and catch up later because in A-levels, you don't have much time to catch up. Work towards you goal and you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest