The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Josephstjohn
I can't really say but it's all very similar format to medify if you've used it, I'm pretty sure people get somewhat different questions on the day?

Hi, since you have already done the ukcat, are we allowed to use the keyboard number pad or do we have to use the mouse for QR?
Reply 21
I did mine 2 days ago, it was always my worst score on medify where I always averaged 50.3% for QR but ended up with 730 on the day even though I didn't have time to put an answer to 2 questions and I had guessed the last 12 questions because I had 2 minutes left. i still don't know how I got the 730 in that section though, but everyone seems to be getting 700-800+ in that section this year so I think the mean average and deciles are going to be higher this year because of that (much like what happened to DA in 2013 where it averaged something like 750+ for the people who took it).

I just tried to practise with timings and common questions, e.g. % change, working out mean averages of 6 or more complicated numbers with the stupid online calculator in under 40 seconds etc. My friend who got 830 literally did this too, but put in more hours than me (she finished all the stems for QR on medify) even though she did a mock the night before and got predicted 600.

The actual questions are like Medify but a bit more easier, the maths isn't hard (Nobody I know who got 700-800 did any maths revision or bbc bitesize) but it's really tight with time so I'd suggest practising so many timed sections (I used the 40 timed sections in medify).

Good luck x
Reply 22
Yeah it really is down to practising timings. The actual maths isn't hard, but I found I needed to use my brain a bit more in the real thing than in my practises. I didn't use Medify though so can't comment on how similar that is.
Oh, also, use the on-screen calculator when you practice, to get used to it.
Original post by Ray.
Hi, since you have already done the ukcat, are we allowed to use the keyboard number pad or do we have to use the mouse for QR?

Yep you can use the number pad, it makes it much faster
Original post by Josephstjohn
Yep you can use the number pad, it makes it much faster

Also, remember the keyboard shortcuts, alt + c for calculator alt+n for next, alt+p for previous and alt+f for flag
Original post by nurani9
I did mine 2 days ago, it was always my worst score on medify where I always averaged 50.3% for QR but ended up with 730 on the day even though I didn't have time to put an answer to 2 questions and I had guessed the last 12 questions because I had 2 minutes left. i still don't know how I got the 730 in that section though, but everyone seems to be getting 700-800+ in that section this year so I think the mean average and deciles are going to be higher this year because of that (much like what happened to DA in 2013 where it averaged something like 750+ for the people who took it).

I just tried to practise with timings and common questions, e.g. % change, working out mean averages of 6 or more complicated numbers with the stupid online calculator in under 40 seconds etc. My friend who got 830 literally did this too, but put in more hours than me (she finished all the stems for QR on medify) even though she did a mock the night before and got predicted 600.

The actual questions are like Medify but a bit more easier, the maths isn't hard (Nobody I know who got 700-800 did any maths revision or bbc bitesize) but it's really tight with time so I'd suggest practising so many timed sections (I used the 40 timed sections in medify).

Good luck x

I've got mine on Tuesday and I'm so nervous 😭 QR is by far my worst section with predicted 550 on medify 😭😭😭
Reply 26
Hi guys, to those who are using or have used the 1250 isc ukcat book and Medify , how hard are those questions compared to the real exam for each section?

Also, do you guys have any tips on how to tackle questions and improve time wise?
Original post by m.b123
Hi guys, to those who are using or have used the 1250 isc ukcat book and Medify , how hard are those questions compared to the real exam for each section?

Also, do you guys have any tips on how to tackle questions and improve time wise?

Isc is harder. Medify is easier. Official ukcat website has the right balance.
Original post by m.b123

The QR questions in the book are by far extremely difficult as compared to the actual thing, it took me about 10 mins to solve a scenario with 8 questions. Medify is also quite more difficult than the actual thing, albeit easier than the book. On average I scored 650 in QR on medify but ended up getting 890 in the real exam. So I'd recommend brushing through the questions in the book as quick as YOU can, just to improve your method of solving the questions. Then go on to medify and keep doing 40 questions at a time and try to aim at getting at least 25 of them correct. During my mocks I averaged at 22/36 in QR.
Reply 29
Original post by Mohammad Ali
The QR questions in the book are by far extremely difficult as compared to the actual thing, it took me about 10 mins to solve a scenario with 8 questions. Medify is also quite more difficult than the actual thing, albeit easier than the book. On average I scored 650 in QR on medify but ended up getting 890 in the real exam. So I'd recommend brushing through the questions in the book as quick as YOU can, just to improve your method of solving the questions. Then go on to medify and keep doing 40 questions at a time and try to aim at getting at least 25 of them correct. During my mocks I averaged at 22/36 in QR.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Reply 30
Original post by Phil987
Is QR necessary to revise, even though I know how to do basics such as percenage change/ratio/unit conversions etc. Do you think it's ok to just focus on the other 4 sections, as I have done some revsion on medify, but finding QR quite hard on it. Also fairly good a mental arithemtic. I have heard many people say it's much easier on test day?
Thanks.

I would really recommend practising doing some questions under time pressure...for QR i found that the actual questions were OK, it was the time constrictions that made it more difficult to get a good score, so practising with the aim of boosting my speed was what helped me the most. Would recommend The Medic Portal - it has so many free questions with explanations attached.
Original post by aytuiq
18/23 is very good! Remember that your score is added onto 300, then scored out of 900. The average score is around 600, which equates to 50%, so provided you can complete the questions in time you could gain an excellent score!

Good luck!

Hi, I've booked my UKCAT exam, going to sit it in round about 2 weeks... I'm just a little confused why would the score you get in the score sections be added onto 300? Does it no start at 0, or am I missing something silly?
Original post by cozzie_toes
Hi, I've booked my UKCAT exam, going to sit it in round about 2 weeks... I'm just a little confused why would the score you get in the score sections be added onto 300? Does it no start at 0, or am I missing something silly?

The scoring system is based on the marks of the first year that did the test in 2006 (2016 for DM). That scale is between 300-900, i.e. The lowest of them was given a score of 300 and the highest 900 with the average being 600.
Hope that answered your question, and good luck with your test!
Original post by Ollehh
nah you do need to practice to get the speed aspect of it, but it was my weakest section and I just got a 830 in it lmao, total surprise but I reckon it's also down to what questions you get drawn:wink: x

hey! QR is also my weakest section and i have 19 days till the exam (including today) I'm pretty okay at everything else but QR is kinda stressful since i'm practicing it so much but i dont know any methods or tricks to work, any advice would be appreciated please, alsooo well done on your score!
Original post by medicinemaniac
hey! QR is also my weakest section and i have 19 days till the exam (including today) I'm pretty okay at everything else but QR is kinda stressful since i'm practicing it so much but i dont know any methods or tricks to work, any advice would be appreciated please, alsooo well done on your score!

Hi there!

We have plenty of resources to help you with UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning:

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
can anyone tell me how to multiply/divide/add/subtract on the keyboard used in exam coz practicing on MacBook and don't know what normal keyboard is like. Also can you use the backspace to delete your calculation and type in new one????????? Please HELP because got mine in TWO DAYS
IGCSEs - 9A* and 2A
AS levels - AAAB
A levels- currently doing hopefully A*AA/AAA

just did my ukcat and so annoyed and upset about my VR

VR - 550 - so unfair mine was impossible
DM - 640
QR - 670
AR - 870 - brought my score up

Average- 682.5 band 1

what uni do I have a good chance in??
feel like my ukcat is low compared to most others people

Latest