The Student Room Group

How to deal with not knowing anyone at sixth form?

I specifically picked a sixth form college that no one else in my school is going to because the people there weren't great. I have 2 friends going to a college nearby though so at least we'll be together on the journey. But now I'm stressed out since most people go to the same sixth form as their friends and will stay in groups meaning I'll have no one at all to talk to there which shouldn't be a huge issue since I'm quite introverted but might be awkward during group activities etc. Did anyone else go/ is anyone else going to a college they knew few people at? If so whats the best way of dealing with it?
Original post by Bla1287
I specifically picked a sixth form college that no one else in my school is going to because the people there weren't great. I have 2 friends going to a college nearby though so at least we'll be together on the journey. But now I'm stressed out since most people go to the same sixth form as their friends and will stay in groups meaning I'll have no one at all to talk to there which shouldn't be a huge issue since I'm quite introverted but might be awkward during group activities etc. Did anyone else go/ is anyone else going to a college they knew few people at? If so whats the best way of dealing with it?

From the other point of view where I went to my secondary schools 6th form and few external people joined, honestly just say hi and talk to people like normal. Easy conversation starters are something about school or something about the person, and eventually it'll be like you were always there.

And I guess from uni experience, friendship groups form really quickly so whoever you sit next to in the first few days, say hi too :smile:

Perhaps you will meet someone in the same shoes as you.
Original post by Bla1287

I was in the same situation as you last year. I chose a sixth form where no one from my secondary school would go to. Honestly, the first week will be kinda awkward but after that you will get to know people in your classes and in your tutor group, you'll make friends. Just be nice and friendly. It'll be fine trust me
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Bla1287

I went to a new sixth form last year, I had a couple friends with me, but now I'm in a friendship group with people I didn't know a year ago! And I haven't had such a good group of friends until my friends now, the first couple of weeks were awkward, and I wasn't fully settled in until November, but now I'm much happier where I'm at now than where I was before, it'll be fine! I wish you the best of luck! Just be friendly, once you've made one friend, you'll be able to become friends with there's and you'll have the confidence to make new friends!
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
From the other point of view where I went to my secondary schools 6th form and few external people joined, honestly just say hi and talk to people like normal. Easy conversation starters are something about school or something about the person, and eventually it'll be like you were always there.

And I guess from uni experience, friendship groups form really quickly so whoever you sit next to in the first few days, say hi too :smile:

Perhaps you will meet someone in the same shoes as you.

Original post by happiness12
I was in the same situation as you last year. I chose a sixth form where no one from my secondary school would go to. Honestly, the first week will be kinda awkward but after that you will get to know people in your classes and in your tutor group, you'll make friends. Just be nice and friendly. It'll be fine trust me

Original post by paisc
I went to a new sixth form last year, I had a couple friends with me, but now I'm in a friendship group with people I didn't know a year ago! And I haven't had such a good group of friends until my friends now, the first couple of weeks were awkward, and I wasn't fully settled in until November, but now I'm much happier where I'm at now than where I was before, it'll be fine! I wish you the best of luck! Just be friendly, once you've made one friend, you'll be able to become friends with there's and you'll have the confidence to make new friends!

Thanks so much guys! I thought I'd be a loner but after what you've said I think it wont be so bad after all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest