The Student Room Group

Currently losing a pet - Chatting as a distraction?

Hey there!

As the title suggests, I’m unfortunately losing a much-loved pet tonight, and there’s not a lot I can do.

I’m wondering whether anyone is up for chat - even just a few minutes - about anything. I just need to take my mind off it for a little while.

Hope y’all are having a lovely week,
Reply 1
Firstly, sorry about your pet, I lost my dog at the start of september but I'm happy to talk to you!
Reply 2
I can start

Are you in 6th form / uni and if so what are you studying?

I'm in Y13 and doing bio, chem and history
Original post by yogo1o
I can start

Are you in 6th form / uni and if so what are you studying?

I'm in Y13 and doing bio, chem and history

Thank you :smile: I’m sorry to hear about your dog!

Not just yet, I’m in Y11 at the moment - just in the process of sixth form entry, but I’m hoping to study bio, chemistry, physics and English lit. How have you found sixth form?
Reply 4
I'll be honest. I've found it difficult at times but I'm certainly glad that I now know what I want to do in the future as I had no idea until about halfway through Y12
Reply 5
How are you finding Y11?
Original post by yogo1o
How are you finding Y11?

To be honest, I’ve loved it. I tend to do better in more stressful environments (?), and can’t wait to get GCSE’s done. Plus, I feel like teacher’s are a lot easier in Y11 than previous years - I’ve gone out for coffee with my chemistry teacher and friends a good few times now, lmao.
Original post by yogo1o
I'll be honest. I've found it difficult at times but I'm certainly glad that I now know what I want to do in the future as I had no idea until about halfway through Y12

I’m glad! What would you like to do? I think sometimes it’s nice to keep an open-mind about what you’d like to do, it certainly feels like such a big decision!
Reply 7
I've applied for history! I'm thinking maybe teaching but I'm really not sure if I'd enjoy it and if that doesn't work out I'm not too sure what I'd do instead as history degrees aren't exactly in high demand, but I suppose maybe when I'm at uni I'll find another career field I'm really interested in. Do you have any idea what you'd like to do in the future?
Original post by yogo1o
I've applied for history! I'm thinking maybe teaching but I'm really not sure if I'd enjoy it and if that doesn't work out I'm not too sure what I'd do instead as history degrees aren't exactly in high demand, but I suppose maybe when I'm at uni I'll find another career field I'm really interested in. Do you have any idea what you'd like to do in the future?

That sounds fun! Whilst teaching is definitely not something I’d want to go into, I have huge respect for teachers and everything they have to deal with. History sounds cool, too! Is there a particular part of history you enjoy? I’ve wanted to go into veterinary since I was little, and haven’t changed my mind as of yet! Fingers crossed.
Reply 9
I quite like modern social and political history (think Thatcher) but I'm doing my EPQ on medical developments in the renaissance/middle ages which I'm also finding really interesting, although it's really similar to the medicine through time topic I did in GCSE history so I knew I'd enjoy it. I have a friend whose applied for vet med, not something I'd fancy but I suppose that at its core its about helping people (and animals) which is applaudable, I guess there's also room for some quite interesting stuff you can do, like dealing with exotic animals.
Reply 10
*hugs*
Original post by yogo1o
I quite like modern social and political history (think Thatcher) but I'm doing my EPQ on medical developments in the renaissance/middle ages which I'm also finding really interesting, although it's really similar to the medicine through time topic I did in GCSE history so I knew I'd enjoy it. I have a friend whose applied for vet med, not something I'd fancy but I suppose that at its core its about helping people (and animals) which is applaudable, I guess there's also room for some quite interesting stuff you can do, like dealing with exotic animals.

Ooo, you’ve got quite the variety! That’s it, it sounds cliche as anything, but animals really did save my life - and I really want to dedicate my career to helping them, and the people who love and care for them.

I’d love to do exotic animals - only I’m scared of the tarantulas, haha.
Original post by Kathy89
*hugs*

❤️
Reply 13
Original post by glazzi
Ooo, you’ve got quite the variety! That’s it, it sounds cliche as anything, but animals really did save my life - and I really want to dedicate my career to helping them, and the people who love and care for them.

I’d love to do exotic animals - only I’m scared of the tarantulas, haha.

It's good that you've found something you have a genuine passion for, I know a lot of people, especially at this sort of age really struggle with knowing what they want to do.

Going back to your a-levels, can I ask why english lit, it's kind of the odd one out, if you know what I mean (no judgement tho, like I said I do bio, chem and history)
Original post by yogo1o
It's good that you've found something you have a genuine passion for, I know a lot of people, especially at this sort of age really struggle with knowing what they want to do.

Going back to your a-levels, can I ask why english lit, it's kind of the odd one out, if you know what I mean (no judgement tho, like I said I do bio, chem and history)

Hopefully! I completely get what you mean - it definitely is the odd one out. I really love reading, and writing. I read, and write regularly - and wanted to do an a-level I know I’m gonna 100% enjoy. I think it’ll be good to have a subject more essay focussed, and others that are more question/information focussed. We’ll see! I think if four gets too much, physics will be the one I’d drop.
Reply 15
Original post by glazzi
Hopefully! I completely get what you mean - it definitely is the odd one out. I really love reading, and writing. I read, and write regularly - and wanted to do an a-level I know I’m gonna 100% enjoy. I think it’ll be good to have a subject more essay focussed, and others that are more question/information focussed. We’ll see! I think if four gets too much, physics will be the one I’d drop.

That's what I did! I started off with English as well but only did it for a week before dropping down to three
Original post by yogo1o
That's what I did! I started off with English as well but only did it for a week before dropping down to three

That’s it! I’m hoping to wait and see, but I’ll be gutted to drop English, haha.
Reply 17
Original post by glazzi
Hey there!

As the title suggests, I’m unfortunately losing a much-loved pet tonight, and there’s not a lot I can do.

I’m wondering whether anyone is up for chat - even just a few minutes - about anything. I just need to take my mind off it for a little while.

Hope y’all are having a lovely week,

I'm really sorry for your loss. I hope you feel better soon. It might help to go outside and hang out with your friends.

Quick Reply

Latest