The Student Room Group

Sad about leaving sixth form/ anxious about next steps

I'm a y13 sixth form student, with plans to go to university in Sept.
Recently, I've been thinking a lot about the future and steps post SF. My friends have been talking loads recently about universities and next steps too.

However, the more I think about it, the more I just feel so sad about having to leave sixth form. I really genuinely am going to miss it so much i get on with my teachers so well and I'm someone who basically stresses about everything, so I'm worried about so many things such as my ppe/mock grades? what if i go to uni and don't like the course? dont make friends? don't fit in? my biggest worry atm though is having to leave sixth form i am just going to miss it so so much and i cant help but be sad just thinking about having to leave as i will admit at first i wasn't too bothered but now i genuinely truly think about it all the time and dont rlly feel like expressing it incase anyone thinsk its stupid that i'm sad about something so small.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And how do i deal with my sudden change of emotions?
Original post by krystaloceanx
I'm a y13 sixth form student, with plans to go to university in Sept.
Recently, I've been thinking a lot about the future and steps post SF. My friends have been talking loads recently about universities and next steps too.
However, the more I think about it, the more I just feel so sad about having to leave sixth form. I really genuinely am going to miss it so much i get on with my teachers so well and I'm someone who basically stresses about everything, so I'm worried about so many things such as my ppe/mock grades? what if i go to uni and don't like the course? dont make friends? don't fit in? my biggest worry atm though is having to leave sixth form i am just going to miss it so so much and i cant help but be sad just thinking about having to leave as i will admit at first i wasn't too bothered but now i genuinely truly think about it all the time and dont rlly feel like expressing it incase anyone thinsk its stupid that i'm sad about something so small.
Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And how do i deal with my sudden change of emotions?
Hi @krystaloceanx,

I totally feel you on this. Just like you, I adored my life in sixth form as it had become my comfort zone for the two years during a-levels. I was scared to separate from my friends, we shared the same concerns as we were all moving abroad to the UK for university. Scared that we wouldn't feel a sense of belonging, feel out of place and miserable throughout our entire time in uni.

But as of now as I write my reply to you, I had just submitted my essay plan for a module I am completely obsessed with, doing a course I am so passionate about. Although I feel content with how life is as of now, I still have my concerns and worries. My next deadline, my money management, how time is moving too fast I feel like I don't even have time for myself. The point is, we'll always have concerns and obstacles regardless of which stage in life we are, the unknown is daunting but it can be exciting depending on how you look at it.

Life in uni has taught me to take everyday step by step. If I'm stressing about something before it happens, I'm practically putting myself through the stress twice. Uni won't be sunshine and rainbows everyday, but it's not miserable everyday either. You'll find your place, I'm rooting for you!

Good luck,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Hi @krystaloceanx

We understand how you feel! It’s important to note that an isolated incident of anxiety running up to a big life change is pretty normal. University is probably vastly different to your school or college experience and is a huge lifestyle change, so it is no surprise that you may be experiencing some anxiety right now.

Here are some of our suggestions on how to deal with these changes:

Talk to someone about your concerns
It is important to open up about feelings of anxiety. Sometimes it helps just to say them out loud to a trusted friend or family member. If we don’t talk about our feelings, then they can continue to build up inside and eventually feel very overwhelming. Pre-University anxiety is more common than you might think. Could you reach out to someone else who is going to Uni for the first time? Knowing that other people are going through a similar situation can be helpful and can reassure us that we are not alone.

Confident self-talk
Many of us worry about getting things ‘wrong’ or not being ‘clever enough’ for such a big step, but you got a place at University, congratulations! You were chosen because you deserve this place. You have demonstrated that you have the skills and capacity to study a University degree and that’s amazing. You earned this and that shows that you are resilient, determined and ready to embark on this chapter of your life. You can do this! Challenging our irrational thoughts in this way can help us to re-frame our thinking and stop these feelings from becoming overwhelming.

Also, the truth is that going to University in part is about getting things wrong. If we all knew everything, then there would be no need for us to go on to further study! University is a learning process, and nobody is expecting you to be anything but yourself with a willingness to learn and grow.

A little bit of pre-university anxiety is to be expected and is our body’s way of preparing us for this significant life change. It’s important that if feelings of worry and anxiety are building up that you speak up and do some positive self-talk.

I would like to wish you the very best of luck for your journey into Higher Education, you can do this!

Good luck!
Hannah
Teesside Uni

Quick Reply

Latest