The Student Room Group

What bag for sixth form? + what school supplies should I get?

I start sixth form in September and I'm not sure whether to get a backpack or not. Bearing in mind I live down the road from my college so I wouldn't need to carry so much in a way as I can just pop home if need be or carry stuff, is it worth investing in a good quality backpack, if so what brands are good and not crazy expensive but are sturdy and not tacky? Or should I go with a shoulder bag?
Thank you!

Also PS what sort of things should I take in my bag and what school supplies would be good? I'm taking history, English lang/lit and photography. Any good recommendations and detailed lists greatly appreciated :smile:
Get a backpack.

I got a pretty cheap one -- if you aren't taking it far and you're not routinely putting heavy things in it then you shouldn't need to spend a lot.

I didn't take much with me to sixth form -- a pencil case, a packed lunch, phone and wallet. You should be able to borrow textbooks and you may find there are lockers for you to permanently leave some items.
I bought one from amazon for £16.99, same quality of Superdry/Vans for half the price and same size. Look for ones thatre around 40cm tall if you're needing to carry books or folders, likely you will.

For your subjects you definitely need lined paper and basic stationery, and for photography you need art supplies however you need to know if your sixth form has some you can use. Students doing art at my college need to buy everything themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xoxofearlessgirl
I start sixth form in September and I'm not sure whether to get a backpack or not. Bearing in mind I live down the road from my college so I wouldn't need to carry so much in a way as I can just pop home if need be or carry stuff, is it worth investing in a good quality backpack, if so what brands are good and not crazy expensive but are sturdy and not tacky? Or should I go with a shoulder bag?
Thank you!

Also PS what sort of things should I take in my bag and what school supplies would be good? I'm taking history, English lang/lit and photography. Any good recommendations and detailed lists greatly appreciated :smile:

:hello:
Ooh how exciting, congrats on your results! :woo:

I see well I think this depends on your preferences and the type of student you are.
I had a couple of friends who lived down the road from college but as we had a super duper library and they didn't trust themselves to work at home, they'd bring lots of heavy books etc. to it and work there during frees/after college.

So it really depends.

However I'd really recommend getting a rucksack anyway, most people had them when I was at College and they're quite good in terms of support for your back (if you get a good one) if you happen to be carrying many books.

For brands etc. depends how cool you are :colondollar: and on your budget. I'd just suggest a google/amazon for that. I would recommend this one:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PGYAUKK/ref=twister_B00R7BKYQA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 for obvious reasons :innocent:

For supplies: if you're studying a book, don't buy it because you may get one from ur college/cheaply from another student there.
Get yourself some revision cards, lots of writing paper, file dividers for all your subjects and some nice pens/pencils for your pencil case.

Hope this helps :smile:

I've put up a blog post on what you'll need for starting Sixth Form, with a few product recommendations as well as just general items to get hold of. It might be useful - http://imnotcatherine.blogspot.co.uk...oull-need.html

I'm also looking to do a few posts on things like work layouts, organising yourself, those sort of study advice things if that sounds interesting!

Original post by imnotcatherine

I've put up a blog post on what you'll need for starting Sixth Form, with a few product recommendations as well as just general items to get hold of. It might be useful - http://imnotcatherine.blogspot.co.uk...oull-need.html

I'm also looking to do a few posts on things like work layouts, organising yourself, those sort of study advice things if that sounds interesting!

Omg that sounds amazing I'll definitely check it out!
I started sixth form with a tote bag where i would carry all of my things, but you soon come to realise that (depending on how much stuff you take to school) they are impractical. I recommend that you just start the year with a backpack because they are better for your back and they fit a lot of stuff. Also, I had to provide my own paper and folders etc. so that took up more room in my bag: sixth forms and colleges tend not to provide exercise books anymore, just text books :smile:
all you need is a pen
If you're looking for quality look up Herschel bags however they lack in practicality and size if you opt for their messenger bags or rucksacks. With that being said, they're GREAT quality but they are pricey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending