The Student Room Group

Are boarding schools prestigious?

I mean if I hear if someone is from, say, Eton or Harrow, I think "fair play" in that "wow, okay" kind of way?

I don't see it, necessarily, as "posh ****"
Eton, Harrow = definitely prestigious
Original post by money-for-all
Eton, Harrow = definitely prestigious

Why though? Is prestige "bought"?
It's due to the fact that the education on offer at boarding schools is generally better than that of comprehesive schools. Furthermore, boarding schools, such as Harrow, are known for the fact that they have a six days of lessons a week. This is hard work to say the least and is one of the reasons they're seen as prestigious. This extra day of work a week adds up and you can assume that the students are better educated because of this.
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Why though? Is prestige "bought"?

It's about how well known something is, and how well regarded it is. It's about history and what former students have gone onto do. It's about the excellence of education and the number of students that get into top universities.

Eton and Harrow are very well know, and very well regarded. They have a rich history of educating some of the most notable individuals in British and world politics. They send a high number of pupils to Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial.

They provide an education beyond that which is available at state schools.
Original post by HotDetermination
It's due to the fact that the education on offer at boarding schools is generally better than that of comprehesive schools. Furthermore, boarding schools, such as Harrow, are known for the fact that they have a six days of lessons a week. This is hard work to say the least and is one of the reasons they're seen as prestigious. This extra day of work a week adds up and you can assume that the students are better educated because of this.

My counter to that is that because they are given more education they seem "better" but might actually be less intelligent than a state-school pupil who achieves worse grades.

I understand what you're saying about history and whatnot, but the fact still remains it's open to those who can pay. How is something that can be bought prestigious. I thought prestige is a component (or a result of) meritocracy?
The prestige is based on price thats paid.
Honestly having been to a top boarding school, the education was good but the price seemed to be more for the facilities/reputation than the actual education.
Yes you will get better education but the students are also hardworking due to the price that their parents have paid for the school.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Boredom101
The prestige is based on price thats paid.
Honestly having been to a top boarding school, the education was good but the price seemed to be more for the facilities than the actual education.
Yes you will get better education but the students are also hardworking due to the price that their parents have paid for the school.

Hmm that's what I thought tbh. Thanks
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Hmm that's what I thought tbh. Thanks

You're welcome :smile:
Edit - DrSocSciences caught me out lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Boredom101
Your welcome :smile:

Oh c'mon. You can't declare your private school credentials, and then throw away your status with a basic grammatical error.

Are boarding schools prestigious? Yes, in terms of holding high status, as respected sites that provide a supposedly superior education, and facilitate immersion into high net worth networks. Is that prestige warranted? Different question.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Oh c'mon. You can't declare your private school credentials, and then throw away your status with a basic grammatical error.

Are boarding schools prestigious? Yes, in terms of holding high status, as respected sites that provide a supposedly superior education, and facilitate immersion into high net worth networks. Is that prestige warranted? Different question.

Sorry was typing in a rush ahaha
That's a fair analysis however I wouldn't say that superior education is always supplied though.

Quick Reply

Latest