The Student Room Group

Choosing between QUB and Dundee for Medicine

Hi! I am an international student and I've received medicine offers from both Queen's Belfast and Dundee, and I am currently struggling to make a decision between the two. Lots of people I know say that Dundee's medical education is innovate, clinically-heavy and excellent, and their facilities are wonderful. However, I know that QUB probably has a better overall ranking and reputation worldwide, and it's the only medical school in NI, so I guess the resources that QUB offers might be better, right? I also don't know how a CBL (QUB) course style is different from integrated (Dundee) course style. Does anyone have any advice, or experience of studying in these two universities? Thank you!!!!
Original post by Oscar Ding
Hi! I am an international student and I've received medicine offers from both Queen's Belfast and Dundee, and I am currently struggling to make a decision between the two. Lots of people I know say that Dundee's medical education is innovate, clinically-heavy and excellent, and their facilities are wonderful. However, I know that QUB probably has a better overall ranking and reputation worldwide, and it's the only medical school in NI, so I guess the resources that QUB offers might be better, right? I also don't know how a CBL (QUB) course style is different from integrated (Dundee) course style. Does anyone have any advice, or experience of studying in these two universities? Thank you!!!!
In terms of getting a job after medical school I think the ranking and reputation may not be that relevant as I read that when you apply they do not know where you trained as that information is not known by the interview panel. So whether you graduated from the most prestigious or the least well known medical school it shouldn’t make a difference to your chances of being successful at interview. Obviously for your own personal point of view you may prefer to go to a more prestigious medical school but everyone comes out with the same general qualification to practice medicine.
Original post by Oscar Ding
Both are good schools. It depends on your future plans. Are you planning return to your home country post qualification?

https://www.mchk.org.hk/files/Full_List_(1st_to_3rd_batch(Dec2022)_eng.pdf

https://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/docs/librariesprovider2/default-document-library/list-of-registrable-basic-med-qualifications---effective-from-1-sep-2022.pdf

Personally, it would come down to style of teaching, cost of living and the city you are going to live. Both are relatively small cities with their own advantages and disadvantages.
Reply 3
Original post by annetheepic
In terms of getting a job after medical school I think the ranking and reputation may not be that relevant as I read that when you apply they do not know where you trained as that information is not known by the interview panel. So whether you graduated from the most prestigious or the least well known medical school it shouldn’t make a difference to your chances of being successful at interview. Obviously for your own personal point of view you may prefer to go to a more prestigious medical school but everyone comes out with the same general qualification to practice medicine.
Thank you for your advice! I will put Dundee as the firm choice, as I think the course style is probably more suitable for me.
Reply 4
Original post by PJboy2004
Both are good schools. It depends on your future plans. Are you planning return to your home country post qualification?

https://www.mchk.org.hk/files/Full_List_(1st_to_3rd_batch(Dec2022)_eng.pdf

https://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/docs/librariesprovider2/default-document-library/list-of-registrable-basic-med-qualifications---effective-from-1-sep-2022.pdf

Personally, it would come down to style of teaching, cost of living and the city you are going to live. Both are relatively small cities with their own advantages and disadvantages.
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I am planning to return to my country after foundation years. Dundee has higher conditions on the offer so I will put it as firm.
hey i’m an international student in qub rn, don’t think these two skls are much of a diff except qub starts placements in year 3 but dundee starts in year 4 i think. Also the cost of living here is cheaper if that’s a concern for u. Feel free to drop me a dm if you got any questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending