The Student Room Group

Oxbridge medicine entry requirements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hansyw1
Hi I have just done my GCSEs in 2018 and received seven 9s, one 8 and an A also an A in a FSMQ which is the top. I would like to study medicine at one of the top universities like oxford or cambridge so in Sixth form i have applied to do Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Economics as A-levels. Whilst i was accepted to do these and met the grade requirements the school would rather i take 3 (as they are suggesting to every student) so i am considering dropping Economics however it is my choice and would like to know if i have a better chance of getting into one of these universities with four A-levels or the three A-levels. i know the requirements for these universities only say 3 A-levels but most who have applied have taken more.Which would you suggest is better to take as a chance of getting into oxbridge?

Hi. Well done on your GCSEs! If I recall correctly, I was told by school taht univeristies cannot discriminate between students with 3 or 4 a levels because some sixth forms or colleges don’t even give students the opportunity to study 4 or more A levels. Besides, many who take 4 at AS end up dropping to 3 by A2 anyway.

I would say take 4 for AS if you really want to keep economics as well. See how you find the work load, stress levels and management and then maybe drop at the end of year 12? Otherwise, just take 3 from the beginning and carry them through to year 13.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by archibald300
Hi. Well done on your GCSEs! If I recall correctly, I was told by school taht univeristies cannot discriminate between students with 3 or 4 a levels because some sixth forms or colleges don’t even give students the opportunity to study 4 or more A levels. Besides, many who take 4 at AS end up dropping to 3 by A2 anyway.

I would say take 4 for AS if you really want to keep economics as well. See how you find the work load, stress levels and management and then maybe drop at the end of year 12? Otherwise, just take 3 from the beginning and carry them through to year 13.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you very much for that. The only problem is tehre are no more ASs so if i take one for a year i don't get anything for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending