The Student Room Group

Electrical Power Engineering @ GCU

Hi,

My husband has been accepted to Glasgow Caledonian University to do Electrical Power Engineering. I'm looking at purchasing a laptop for him as I am also at university and it will be hard to share one laptop between us.

As he's moving on from doing an HNC in Electronics, he's not aware of what software he might be needed to use. So we're not sure what specs to be looking at. We don't have a huge budget (£300?) and so we want to make sure we get the best for our money.

I hope someone with experience in studying engineering can help.

Thank you!
He should be fine with a cheap chromebook as there should be plenty of computers with the right software available to use on campus. The only real advantage of having your own laptop to run the software on is that you can use it anywhere at any time, but £300 isn't really enough to buy a laptop where this would be worth doing as the software can be quite demanding, and he also won't be using it that much, realistically a couple of weeks per year.

Then there's MATLAB, which is quite commonly used, but that can be run online on a chromebook so no issues there.

Quick Reply

Latest